Sunday, March 8, 2020

Flying Tsuru Birthday Card

My mom's birthday was back in December but being that I notoriously fall behind with all my blog postings during the holidays, I always end up posting her birthday card several months late.

Usually I'm so focused on holiday crafts in December that I find myself struggling for ideas to make mom's birthday card. Thank goodness for Karen Burniston's Katherine Label Pop Up die. This pop up mechanism has pulled me through many creative slumps, helping to make even the simplest card idea into a special card.
This time I decided on using a paper pieced image of a Japanese Red Crowned Crane, or "tsuru" flying against the sun, a traditional Japanese symbol for good luck and long life. The tsuru and sun were positioned onto the pop up mechanism so it would partially show through the round front window while the card is closed.

As the card is opened the tsuru pops out and rises up, appearing to fly.

The pretty, glittered background cardstock is from the now retired Kimono collection from Best Creation, Inc. I chose it hoping it would add a soft feminine touch to the bold colors of the tsuru and sun. Stamped "Happy Birthday" greeting is from Darkroom Door Happy Birthday Sentiment Stamps set.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

This is a fantastic card! I love the pop up feature and the symbols you chose. The paper is perfect too. I'm sure your mom loved it and was impressed by your artistic ability. I will scan this post and keep it in my file of blog inspirations. Thank You!