Sunday, May 5, 2013

Happy Boys Day!

Today is Boys Day, when families in Japan traditionally celebrate the healthy growth of their sons.
Here's the card I sent to my son in law this week to celebrate Boys Day. Another recessed window card, this time showcasing a paper pieced samurai warrior helmet or "kabuto", which is typically  displayed during Boys Day. Found a coloring book style image for this by doing a Google image search, had MTC render it into a cutfile, edited it to clean it up a little, and cut it on my Silhouette. I chose pearlized papers and foil cardstock, hoping to give it an authentic metallic look. Used foam tape to mount the finished helmet into the recessed window and added a simple black and gold border to frame the window. No frills for this...gotta keep it masculine, right?
LOL, I know my son in law is no longer a little boy, but he is our only son and I wanted to send a little happy mail just to let him know we're thinking of him!
Before I go, I just have to share a couple pics of a wonderful surprise we received at work on Friday...

...colorful sticks of candy decorated with beautifully colored koi and ribbon made to look like traditional Japanese "koi nobori" or carp windsocks displayed for Boys Day. These precious treats were created by none other than our amazing and talented friend Lorna. Love how she cleverly used her Cheery Lynn koi die to create these! Thank you Lorna, you are too too sweet!!!

2 comments:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Oh WOW!!! This is definitely masculine and I bet your son-in-law will treasure it. :-)

Creations by Patti said...

LOVE your samurai warrior card - way cool. Colors for the helmet are a great combination, too. Nice job! Love the Boy's day candy sticks, too........fun and clever treat!!!! Thanks for sharing...xxoo, P