Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mothers Day Accordion Flip Card and More...

Finally had the chance to play with my Sizzix Accordion Flip Album die. Totally inspired after spying Helen's amazing card, I knew I had to try one for our Mothers Day cards this year.

 I always enjoy playing with acetate and had loads of fun putting this together. Love the effect of the butterflies suspended in air, appearing to be flying through the frames of the card.


Using the Sizzix Accordion Flip Album die, each panel was cut three times, once from clear acetate, once from patterned paper, and again from cardstock. I snipped off the center pieces from the ones cut from patterned paper and cardstock, leaving just the outer frames and tabs to glue onto the front and back of the acetate panels.
I wanted my first panel be flat so I used a 9.5 x 4.75" piece of cardstock folded in half and adhered to the tab of the second panel. Spellbinders Labels One dies were used to cut and frame my sentiment for the front.
Then came the fun part of embellishing the acetate panels with the butterflies and swirls. I used Memory Box dies for the larger butterflies and Cheery Lynn dies for the smaller ones. Green leafy swirl border is also a Cheery Lynn die, and the very tiny butterflies on the border are from a Memory Box die.
The one problem with acetate is that it doesn't stay folded flat, so keeping the card in a closed position was a little bit of a challenge. To solve this, I made a separate tri-fold wrap with a ribbon closure to keep my card folded inside. Part of the fun is that once the ribbon is untied, the accordion card inside literally springs open!
For our Mothers Day family dinner out, I ordered strawberry daifukumochi from Made In Hawaii Foods to share with all the moms. Wanted to put them in a pretty bag, but didn't have much time so it had to be kept simple...
Used MTC to create a simple strawberry embellishment for the bags from a line drawing found on the internet. Added a pink satin bow and it was done.

Check out the size of these strawberries! These strawberries covered with an (sweet bean paste) and wrapped in soft mochi were worth every yummy penny...been so craving this ever since our trip to Japan a few weeks ago!
Got one more surprise project of another RAK from our sweet friend Lorna at work...
Cutest little paper teacup ever!
Thought she had used a Sizzix die for this, but learned later that this is all Cricut! Will have to talk to Lorna more to find out the deets, but I'm guessing she might have used a cupcake wrapper die? Love, love the cute little paper rose embellishments she added too. Wow, just can't get over all the wonderful paper projects this girl comes up with! Does she ever sleep? Thank you, Lorna!!!


6 comments:

Lynn said...

My eyeballs nearly popped out of my head when I saw this card. I have that die too but I never imagined making anything as lovely as the floating butterflies. The use of the vellum is pure genius! You made my Mother's Day with this brilliant idea. Thank you for sharing! I just love visiting your site. .....like getting new brain cells. Happy Mother' s Day!

Lynn said...

I meant to say acetate. Anyway, the effect is breathtaking.

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Holy cow, that accordian card is definitely another masterpiece you've created. WOWSER, so beautiful.
The pkg. you made for the Strawberry Mochi is perfect. Ohhh, I can taste it now...YUMMY!!! OMG, that is one heck of an awesome teacup. Love the roses at the base too. BRILLIANT!!!

Creations by Patti said...

LOVE your accordian flip album for Mother's Day - bright and cheery using those butterflies with acetate. Very cool!!!!

Helen said...

I love your version of the Butterfly Accordion die card! Glad you got some inspiration from mine!
Helen x

Marja Sch said...

Just gorgeous. Such a wonderful accordian card. Gr Marja