Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My First Vinyl Project

Last year, for our Cricut Club holiday Secret Santa gift swap, one of the talented gals, Michele F., decorated one of those clear re-usable plastic cups that are all the rage right now with a super cute Hello Kitty vinyl decal she had cut with her Cricut. Totally inspired by Michele's adorable cup, I went out and bought several sheets of vinyl and all kinds of plasticware to embellish.


But it wasn't till I was trying to think of something to send dd for Valentines Day that I finally decided it was time to learn how to cut vinyl with my Cricut. So after watching tons of video tutorials on youtube and lots of advice and encouragement from Michele, I finished my first vinyl project. The cutting party was easy... Cricut cut through the vinyl very smoothly and easily. By using a medium pressure setting and blade depth of 3, Cricut cut through the vinyl only, leaving the backing intact for easier removal of the cut piece from the backing. I used the wedding cake cut from the Sweethearts cartridge and doves and filigree heart cuts are from the Wedding Solutions cartridge.

 For the cover, I did a monogram, created on Make the Cut using  CK Calligraphy and Baar Sophia fonts. I learned alot about creating with vinyl by doing this project, but I there's still so much more I need to learn!
Here's the finished cannister with some "starter cash" that I sent off for dd and her fiance's Valentine surprise. They're busy planning their wedding and are learning how expensive weddings can be. I thought this might be a cute way for them to save up their pocket change for their "wedding fund"...a penny saved is a penny earned, right?

3 comments:

"Um Buggin" said...

Hi Eunice, this is just soooo cute!! Congrats to your DD, it seems like yesterday when we were speaking about her in school. You did an amazing job on this creation, looking forward to seeing you on the MTC forum. Don't you just love it. Love it!

Hugz, xx

~L~

Joy said...

so sweet! I need to try vinyl in my cricut machine too! I just got one and am a baby to all of this. but it sure looks like fun! I want to play with vinyl too! lol! love what you did with your pail. it it super cute and you always make fabulous gifts! can't wait to see more! have a great week!

Kelly said...

What a great idea, I'm sure your daughter will have a smile on her face everytime she makes a deposit. I'd love to try vinyl but am to much of a chicken. You've done a beautiful job!