Thursday, February 3, 2011

Gong Hay Fat Choy! Year of the Rabbit

To celebrate Chinese New Year, I made up twenty more Year of the Rabbit boxes to share with  family at our Chinese New Year dinner celebration and to pass out to our friends. These look almost identical to the boxes I posted at the beginning of the year, but actually are alot smaller.
Here's a photo with both boxes side by side for a size comparison...
As mentioned in the earlier post, the larger box comes from an original Design Studio cutfile created and shared by Tanya Strom over at Custom Crops. I decided this time that I wanted to try a smaller sized box that I could use to hold some pizzelles. It took me a while to figure out (I hate geometry!), but after several tries I finally was able to create a cutfile in Design Studio using George and Plantin Schoolbook for a smaller version. This smaller trapezoid box measures 5 inches across at its widest point at the top of the box and little over 3 inches at the bottom. Happily, resizing the rabbit to a smaller one was really easy with Make the Cut.
But as I hastily tried to put together twenty of these boxes...you know what they say about haste and waste... I did my classic boo-boo and ended up cutting twenty rabbits in pink instead of white.
Couldn't stand the thought of trashing all those pink bunnies, so I decided I would use them to make "lucky money envelopes" (lai si)...
The cutfile for the envelopes was simple to do with George and Design Studio, and I used some washi paper from my scrap stash to decorate the envelopes.
Xin Nian Kuai Le! Have a Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Joy said...

awe...just love these trapezoid boxes and the rabbits are so cute! love all your creations! I am sure your family was thrilled to receive something handmade and sweet from you! have a wonderful weekend!

Jodi said...

Kung hee fat choy!! These are really cute!! Love that cute bunny on the box! I too had created favors for our family celebration and posted them today. I am certain that your family LOVED them!!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Anonymous said...

Very nice boxes.
What cartridge is the rabbit from?
Thinking of using this for Easter, if you're sharing the file.
PJ(Jessie Adams)

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Oh, soooo festive and what a cute idea. Bet the recipients were thrilled to receive your handmade goodies.

Kelly said...

What a fabulous way to celebrate The Year of The Rabbit! The boxes are incredible and the rabbits are adorable. You are so creative!