Sunday, June 25, 2023

College Graduation

This is the card and gift card holder I sent to my cousin's son who graduated with his Doctorate in Physical Therapy this past weekend.
 
Since he was graduating in a field of medicine, I decided I would use the same card style I created two years ago when my niece received her Nurse Practitioner degree. I used the same Caduceus cutfile I had created as well as the same illustration from my medical dictionary for the inside panel of my card. I did change the title of the degree to DPT (for Doctor of Physical Therapy) and of course, the graduate's name. Graduate's last name has been edited out in photos for privacy.  All cuts were done on the illustration and backed with a metallic gold foil board.

Using the print and cut feature of Make the Cut design program, I created a round medallion of the school seal to put on the narrow front panel. Although it's not easy to see from the photos, I attached a panel of clear acetate behind that narrow front panel so the Caduceus inside the card can be seen with the card closed.



As the card is opened, the panel with the Caduceus pops forward and moves to the the right to reveal the panel with the sentiment underneath. This very cool pop up and movement was created by installing Karen Burniston's "Rockin' Rectangle" mechanism in the fold of the card. This has become one of my most favorite mechanisms to use to add some fun to graduation cards.

I also created this gift card holder in the school's colors to send with the card. I happened to notice that in photos I saw of past graduations from this school, the DPT graduates donned tams instead of a mortarboard cap so I tried to recreate that. I also used Karen Burniston's Word Set die - Congrats and an old Quickutz die for the diploma. 

1 comment:

Lynn said...

This card and gift card are so elaborate and gorgeous. The graduate must have been overwhelmed by your attention to detail. You are amazing!