Sunday, July 10, 2022

Flip Flap Grad Card

I recently tried another type of shutter card, which crafty You Tubers are calling a "Flip Flap Shutter Card". The interactive mechanism is very similar to the "Fabulous Flip" style cards I've been making except that the multiple shutters in this card are contained in a single frame. My first attempt at this "Flip Flap Shutter Card" was for a graduation card for a cousin's son.

Since there are three shutters on this card instead of two as in the Fabulous Flip cards, the shutters are narrower so any embellishments or decorations needed to be smaller. Most of the samples I saw on You Tube and Pinterest had their shutters decorated with scenic or decorative patterned papers with minimal embellishments. I kept my front shutters simple too, with  just the words "Class of 2022" cut in gold foil board and backed a shadow. Cut file for this was created in Make the Cut Design Program using Amazone font. The name of the high school on the bottom was added using the print and cut function.

 Instead of a pull tab, I glued a loop of gold lame ribbon between the layers of the frame for the pull. As the frame is pulled to the left, the  three shutters flip open...

...to reveal a photo of the happy graduate and family taken on graduation night!
The photo was one my cousin had sent via text message which I imported into my desktop, edited, and sent to Walgreens to be printed on glossy photo paper.  The print was then cut into thirds to fit onto the the three shutters.

I added strips of gold glitter cardstock as borders to the frame. Graduation cap and diploma on the corners were die cut using a very old Quickutz die, and "Congratulations" on the inside of the card was cut from gold glitter cardstock using an Elizabeth Crafts word die.

I added our note to the graduate on the backside. This "Flip Flap Shutter Card" was fun to put together. I think it works great for cards with flat stamped images or photos and am looking forward to giving  this card style another try real soon.


2 comments:

Roberta Mau said...

That is a spectacular card, Eunice, but then they all are.

Lynn said...

Gosh, this is an amazing graduation card. It's the first three panel flip card I've seen. You did a marvelous job of decorating it for a male graduate. The idea of putting photos behind the flaps is genius. Thank you for expanding my card making idea file... the one in my head!