Monday, March 29, 2021

Hexagon Pop Up Platform Card

This was the first birthday card I made this year; it was also my first try at using the Cake Pop Up die by Karen Burniston which I purchased last year. 

While trying to decide on a theme for my card, I came across coloring book images of  Hello Kitty together with her teddy bear friend, Tiny Chum which I thought would be perfect. I used Make the Cut design program to render the coloring book images and sentiment from Cupid font into paper piecing cutting files. I ran the panel behind Hello Kitty through Cuttlebug's "Simple Flowers" embossing folder to add texture.  Patterned paper is from a digital set designed by Nancy Kubo called "Hunny Bunnies" available from the Lettering Delights website.

Here's how the card looks inside with the pop up installed. As you can see, I only used the bottom layer of the pop up cake die to serve as a platform for Hello Kitty and her party balloons.

Karen Burniston demonstrates the assembly of this fun alternate way to use her Cake Pop Up die on her site here, which was the real reason I purchased this die. Admittedly, I wasn't too excited about making a 3-tiered hexagon shaped pop up cake, but the ability to quickly put together a pop up hexagon platform "stage" inside a card... now that's what really got me interested in this die.

The pop up mechanism for this is the same as for the stand alone hexagon pop up cards I started making a couple years ago, but a lot quicker to cut and assemble with dies, leaving more time to spend having fun with the decorating and embellishments! I added clear acetate struts in the front, middle and back of the platform to hold Hello Kitty, the balloons, and the scalloped frame.

I've already made two other cards, including the Girls Day card I shared earlier this month using this die. Having lots of fun right now playing with this pop up die, and yup, thinking it just may become my new favorite "go-to" pop up card this year.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Yes, please do make more pop up cards like this one. Thank you for showing different views of the card so I could get a good idea of what was involved in the creation. As usual, you did a terrific job of assembling a really sweet Hello Kitty card. I am a big fan of Hello Kitty AND your blog posts!