Saturday, January 25, 2020

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

Happy Chinese New Year! Today celebrates the first day of the Lunar New Year of the Rat. Sharing the cookie boxes, card, and lai see (red envelopes) I made for the New Year.

For my cookie boxes, I used a cut file from the Lori Whitlock store to put together a dozen of these gable boxes. Since I needed the boxes to be large enough to hold a dozen cookies, I enlarged the template to create a box that was 7-1/2" x 5", with a depth of 2-1/4".

To embellish the box, I used a Chinese paper cut image of a rat and the Chinese character for rat,  rendered into a cutting files using Make the Cut design program. Both were cut from gold foil and red and gold Stardream papers. Spellbinders Chinese Traditional Fence die from the Destination China Collection was used to cut gold glitter cardstock for the Chinese design behind the rat medallion.

Baked up 3 batches of almond cookies this year to fill a dozen boxes to share with friends and family.

Ever since our granddaughter was born, I've been trying to make a tradition of sending her a handmade Chinese New Year card each year in hopes that it might help her learn and appreciate some of her personal heritage.

I used gold foil and glitter cardstocks with the Chinese Traditional Fence and Chinese Coin Window dies from Spellbinders for the front of this card.  A cut file was created for the Chinese character, "fu" for good fortune, cut from gold foil and placed in the coin window. I backed the coin with red foil and placed it onto a red glitter background. Cut file for the cut corner label comes from the Lori Whitlock store and I used CK Calligraphy font.

Inspired once again by the amazing Anita Chang, I made this into a fun interactive double slider card. Pull the tab on the right side of the card...


... and a little white rat slides out from behind the panel!

Cute little rat was cut using Cricut Create A Critter cartridge. Her outfit was handcut from text weight Stardream and her bows and mandarin buttons were cut using embellishment files from SVG Cutting Files Warrior Princess.

I enlarged the corner cut label file I had used on the front of the card to create a panel for the inside to add our New Years sentiment. 

The last thing I did was to make a few Year of the Rat red envelopes for our granddaughter and a few friends. 


Inspired once again by the kawaii Year of the Rat nengajo images found on many Japanese websites, I made a cut file for my rat by welding basic shapes together in Make the Cut design program. I used the same "good fortune" character I had created earlier for the New Year card for the Rat's medallion.
I really enjoyed putting all these Year of the Rat goodies together, just wish I had more time to make more!
Thank you for stopping by, and best wishes to everyone for a New Year filled with good fortune and good health.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I love all your Year of the Rat projects, especially the money envelope. It's so clever how you made the head lift up to reveal the money. Your family is lucky to have you to artfully make items to celebrate the Year of the Rat.