Friday, January 17, 2020

2020 Calendar Magnets

I made refrigerator calendar magnets again this year to share with friends and family. Being that 2020 is the Year of the Rat, I searched the internet and found lots of kawaii inspiration on Japanese websites that offered freebie images to be used on New Years cards known as "nengajo".

One image with little mice running through the zeros in 2020 caught my eye, and I decided I would try a paper pieced rendition of it on my calendars.
I started by creating cut files and shadow layers for the mice, flowers, matsu (pine), and the year. Arial font was used for the year. I backed the calendars with gold foil and washi paper, then welded its shadow layer to the shadow layers of the numbers. After gluing everything in place, I added two more layers using gold stardream and gold foil cardstocks. Lots of layers! Lastly, magnet strips were adhered to the back of each calendar with adhesive foam.
Finished 4 dozen of these right before the New Year and have been passing them out to friends and family.

3 comments:

(AJ) ArtJypsy said...

I don't always leave a comment, but I come by and check out your projects on a regular basis. You have such creativity and fabulous ideas. Love these mice calendars.. Too cute.. Hugs.

SiskiyouSue said...

Adorable rats?? That must be an oxymoron, but whatever, these are truly adorable!

Lynn said...

Love how the mice are jumping out of the zeros. The color you chose are perfect for this calendar. 4 dozen....gosh are you crazy?...I'm glad you have so much creative energy...thanks for sharing!