Sunday, May 12, 2019

Mothers Day Wiper Cards

I had grand plans to present our moms with fancy flowers in a pot pop up cards for Mothers Day this year but somewhere along the line I got frustrated with the mechanism of the card not working as smoothly as I had hoped and opted to just go with a simpler wiper style card this year instead.

Found some very cute Doodlebug flower and butterfly cutting files from the Simply Spring Collection over at the Lori Whitlock store that I thought would work well with my card. To save some time, I had my Silhouette cut all the pieces for the flowers and butterflies from plain white cardstock and used my Copic pens to color all the pieces while they were still on the mat. I added stickles and gemstone accents to the centers of the flowers for some fun sparkle. The banner on the front of the card was created using  a banner cut file and the print and cut feature in Make the Cut.


As the card is pulled open, a little butterfly flies up from behind the flowers. For the wiper mechanism, I used one of the wipers from Mama Elephant's "Wiper Surprise" die. But since I ended up making my cards wider than the original die card size, I had to extend the length of the die cut wiper arm by adding a strip of clear acetate to get the butterfly to pop up where I wanted it to.

You can see the acetate strip extension  onto which the butterfuly is attached in this photo taken from the top of the card. I've come to realize that although assembling the base of this card is very easy, sometimes it can get tricky when trying to get the wiper element to hide and pop up right where you want it to. Lots of experimenting, trial and error, but once you got it to work, its so cool!                                                             
Lots of room on the backside of the card to add our loving sentiments to our dear sweet moms.

And since I thought our mom's might not know how to "open" their cards, I printed these instructions to include with their cards! Lol! Happy Mothers Day!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Even though it wasn't the card you originally wanted to make, this card turned out lovely. I'm sure it brought smiles to your mom. I like the idea of an acetate strip to support the butterfly. The sentiment was sweet too.