Sunday, May 5, 2019

Celebrating Boys Day with Kintaro

May 5th is Tango no Sekku and Kodomo No Hi or Children's Day in Japan. Originally celebrated as Boys Day, many families display doll, sword and helmet collections in their home and fly Koinobori or carp windsocks outside. And every year, my sweet and talented crafty friend Lorna puts together an amazing Asian inspired treat box to celebrate the day. This year she featured an adorable paper pieced "Kintaro" with his ax, together with cute little flying carp!

"Kintaro"  or "Golden Boy" is well known in Japanese children folklore as a little boy with super human strength. He is often portrayed in ceramic or porcelain as a doll or figurine displayed during Boys Day.

I haven't made anything for Boys Day for quite a while, but I thought this might be a good time to share these Pochacco popcorn boxes I put together recently. Earlier this year I had to come up with a quick and simple box to hold some Cheetos/Bugles/Fritos snack mix I wanted to share with some friends. I decided to try a popcorn box that looked like Pochacco...LOL, when I finished the first one I thought it looked so strange, but when hubby saw it, he immediately recognized it as Pochacco... "Hey, that's Pochacco!" So I decided to go with it.

Anyways, the main thing was that it was really quick to put together and large enough to hold the snack mix!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Those cutie pie popcorn boxes are are perfect for holding a large bag of snacks. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing your creativity. I think they will work well for my seasoned cereal bags that I pass out during Christmas.