Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sister Stamps Release #16: Year of the Tiger

Today I'm sharing my second project for Sister Stamps Release #16, this time featuring the Year of the Tiger stamp from the Chinese Zodiac Collection. Isn't she adorable? Definitely one of my faves in this collection!
I colored her up with Copics and placed her on a background of bamboo...created by inking up a Darcy bamboo embossing folder and running it through the Big Shot. The kanji character at the top is "tora" or "Tiger", rendered into a cutfile in MTC and cut with the Silhouette. Altho this looks like a card, it's actually meant to be a box, or a holder for what's inside...
...a little Tiger charm to hang from your purse or keyring...

I have been itching to try some shrink art with these Chinese Zodiac animals for some time now, and was really pleased at how this turned out!
Tiger image was stamped onto white shrink plastic, colored, then cut out. I used a 1/8" hand punch to punch a hole at the top of the Tiger's head and  baked it on a foil lined pan in a toaster oven set at 300 degrees, allowing it to shrink, leaving it in till it was fully flattened...about 8 minutes. The finished size of the charm turned out to be about 1/3rd the size of the original stamped image.
I placed a jump ring through the tiny hole on the charm, added a bell and strap finding. Secured the charm by sewing it onto cardstock and placed it inside the recessed window "box".
Then on the left side panel, I added the personality traits for people born in the Year of the Tiger.
This was surprisingly quick and easy...and I can't wait to try and make all  12 zodiac animals into little shrink plastic charms...wouldn't it make a very cute charm bracelet?
To learn how you can win this adorable Year of the Tiger stamp or any of the rest of the cute Sea Friends stamps in Release #16, head on over to the Sister Stamps blog before midnite tonight. And definitely check out the Design Team blogs for their amazing creative projects featuring stamps from this new release.

Jenny:   Sister Stamps Official Blog
Debi:     Crafty Buzz
Eva:       Crafting This And That
Kerry:    Kerry Is Chilling
Patti:      Creations By Patti
Laura:    By TKG
Linda:    Simple and Sassy Creations
Linda's You Tube Channel:  Lfundoo's Channel
 

11 comments:

CarlavdM said...

Ooohhhhh...there is just one word for your card.....WAUW....like the whole look of it.

Debi said...

OMG, this is just AMAZING! So beautifully done and the surprise of the shrink art puts it over the top!

Kerry said...

Sooooo cool, love love love the card and especially the shrink art, totally AWESOME!!! :)

Creations by Patti said...

I couldn't wait to see what you made today - absolutely mhy favorite, for sure! Love the shrink plastic concept. This is such a great gift to make and yes, all 12 animals would be so fabulous on a charm bracelet, too. Just loving that shrink plastic. As usual, a great job!!!!

Jenny said...

Genius idea! Love it a lot! I will definitely need to try that out too!

Jazzmom said...

I love the embossed bamboo background of the card/holder ~ & the shrink art idea is awesome! It turned out really cute! TFS!

Lynn said...

Tigerific card and charm pull! I love that image too especially because it could do double duty as a cat. The slim shape of the card with the embossed bamboo is a perfect compliment to the Year of the Tiger theme. I think I will have to get out my shrink plastic again. Thanks for the ideas!

Ali said...

Oh my goodness this is absolutely adorable!!! I recently bought this bamboo embossing folder and I will have to try inking it the way you did. It looks fabulous! I also love the shrinky dink idea! I have some in my stash, too, which I bought to make lunch bag tags for my kids. I just might have to make something like you did! SOOOOOO cute!!!!

eva said...

again, this is so amazing and cute! i love that bamboo and i keep wanting to try shrink art too.

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

OMGosh, totally amazing!!!! You did such a fabulous job. Love the shrink art too.

Jan Castle said...

What an enchanting card Eunice!!!!
Beautifully done.
Paper Hugs,
Jan