Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sister Stamps Release #11: Valentines Day Treats!

Remember how I mentioned before about how versatile the new Sister Stamps Chinese Zodiac animal stamps can be? Well, with Valentines Day just around the corner, I just couldn't resist using the new Year of the Monkey and Year of the Sheep stamps to start working on my first Valentine goodies for the year!
I put together this darling little monkey one first. Simply colored him up with Copics, cut him out and placed him on this "Flatbacked Treat Box". Double heart cutout was created in MTC by welding two heart outlines together; added a bow, a tiny punched tag (EK Success), and a cute Valentine sentiment on a scalloped circle (Spellbinders Nestabilities). A few more cute Valentines sentiments came to mind that might be perfect for this as well. How about... "Bananas For You"...."Let's Monkey Around".... "To My Favorite Swinger"... lots of possibilities!
Had so much fun with the first one that I just had to make one using the Year of the Sheep stamp too! Outline heart and "Love Ewe" in the background are cutfiles created in MTC (LD Charming ttf). And of course the creative possibilities with this adorable Year of the Sheep stamp are limitless... Thank "Ewe" cards, Happy Birthday to "Ewe" cards, "Ewe" are Special cards...just to name a few. ("EWE" know what I mean? LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist!)
The original template for this "Flatbacked Treat Box" comes from Patti Gilliam over at the Splitcoaststampers Tutorial page. There's also a video tutorial by Beate Johns which I found helpful on the bottom of the same page. I think Patti G's box is just the perfect size for holding Hershey Nugget chocolates, but since I wanted to use Dove Chocolates in mine, I adjusted the sizing of the box a bit, decreasing the depth to 0.5" and length to 3.5". The finished height of the entire thing is 4.5" and is just the right size to hold 3 Dove Chocolate Hearts.
Although I created my re-sized box as a cutfile on MTC, the template is simple enough to do with a paper cutter or pair of scissors...
Using a sheet of cardstock 5.5" x 8", you can use this MTC screenshot to create and handcut your own template for this box. The numbers in red indicate the placement of the box flaps as well as the scorelines. Score your cardstock first then trim down to the scorelines as shown for the box flaps. Or if you prefer, as always, the cutfile for this is available just for the asking.The instructions for assembling the box are the same as provided on Beate John's video tutorial. Very quick and easy!
And if you haven't had a chance to do so yet, you must go check out the fabulous project samples for this new release created by the other guest designers as well as over at the Sister Stamps blog!
Laura:  By TKG
Debi:  Crafty Buzz

10 comments:

CarlavdM said...

Ooohhh, these boxes are so nice for Valentine.
Thank you for the template, will give it a try by cutting by hand.

Debi said...

These treat holders are great! I've made them before but with a rectangular opening. I love how yours has hearts.

Jenny said...

Somehow you made the zodiac animals into valentines? Amazing! Thanks again for all your help!

Ali said...

Wow this is great! I like that you designed the box with hearts and with those dimensions, it looks like you can get 2 boxes out of 1 sheet of 8.5x11?

Creations by Patti said...

Great job on this box and using the Monkey (love his tail inter twined with the heart) and Sheep.......yummy......too cute!!! Great job!!! hugs, Patti

Lynn said...

Fabulously cute card/candy holder. Thanks for sharing the template. I had one like it but it wasn't quite right I like yours better. Love your coloring and cleverness.

Laura said...

OMG - so CUTE! What a great idea!!

Kelly said...

Hi Eunice...It was good to hear from you. Thanks for leaving such a sweet comment on my blog. I know how life gets in the way of blogging. These little Valentine boxes are just way to cute. You always come up with the most adorable designs.

Jo4Him said...

How cute! I'm wondering if the cutfile would work with any cut software (I have SureCutsaLot). Thanks for the inspiration.

eunice said...

Jo4Him...the MTC program I use can convert files into svg files which you can use on SCAL. If you Email me with your email addy and I can send you the file.