Monday, January 21, 2013

Peeking Puppy "Open Down" Birthday Card

 I'm a bit behind on posting my projects due to the holidays. Alot of my family celebrate their birthdays at the end of the year but with all the excitement of the holidays, I haven't had a chance to share their cards till now. Today's card is the one that got sent to my daughter back in October, right before Halloween...
 
It's been awhile since I've done one of these type of cards...don't know what they're called, but I've decided to call it an "Open Down" card, simply because unlike most pop up cards that open "up" this one's a little different in that it opens "down".
The front page of this card is the layer with the two wrapped gifts. The puppy and balloons peeking from behind are on the inside layer of the card...
  
And when the card is opened "down", you see the popped up layers inside...a birthday cake and more presents! The concept is simple enough but it always takes me so long to figure out the layers and the sizing of each layer that I usually don't have the time or patience to make this type of card.  The cake is a cut from Cricut Sretch Your Imagination cartridge, balloons are from the Celebration cartridge, and the the label inside from the Elegant Edges cartridge. Bows for the gifts are a Google image search find, rendered into cut files by MTC. And of course the familiar little puppy is a MTC cutfile created from my own rendering of our Maltese.
 
Here are a couple shots from the side and top of the card showing the three layers inside and the tabs behind the layers that hold them in position, similar to a basic pop up card. I used MTC to create the shadowed layers for the card and placed each layer 3/4" in front  of the other. 
The original concept of this card is not my own, but from a Hallmark card purchased a long while ago. As mentioned before, the basic card is really simple, and in retrospect it may have been quicker and easier to simply hand cut the shadow layers on this rather than spending time creating a cutfile...will have to try that next time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute!
Really like "different" cards.
Will have to try this one myself.
TFS
PJ (Jessie Adams)

Lynn said...

What an amazing birthday card. I'm sure your daughter loved it and appreciated all the hard work you put into it. Thank you for giving me another great idea. I'll try to make a simpler version of the 'open down' card for my next birthday card. You are so amazing too!