Sunday, July 18, 2010

Panda Friends Birthday

This card was created for one of my oldest and dearest friends who celebrates her birthday this month. I finally decided to give the easel card a try and was pleased to find that it's really a fun and easy card to do.

For the front of the card I used pandas (again!), this time from the Pagoda cartridge. In fact, all the cuts I used for the front of the card (pandas, blossom branch, kanji for friend) come from the Pagoda cartidge. Pandas were cut 3 times and layered with foam dots. Their eyes are tiny black flat back pearls from Kaisercraft. The blossoms were cut twice, and top layer was shaped using a shaping tool from the Punch Bunch tool kit. Centers of flowers were cut using a 1/16" round hole Fiskars hand punch.

Here's the inside. Bottom panel was embossed with the sakura folder from the Cuttlebug Asian Bundle, and letters for the word "friends" are from the Don Juan cartridge, welded in Design Studio. Nesting sakura punches are from Carl. I used a few strands of gold mizuhiki cording tied into a knot and adhered to the top of the panel as the "stop" to keep my easel card standing. Dragonfly charms are from my stash, purchased a long time ago from Creations Unlimited.

Here's a view of the completed card, folded open and standing. There are many tutorials on the internet for the easel card, but my favorite is from the Magnolia-licious Highlites Challenge Blog. This link should take you directly to the October '09 entry where you will find a video tutorial as well as a link to the template and instructions. Here, you'll even find a mini "how to " insert that you can print up and include with your card so your recipient will know how to fold and display their easel card. And while you are there, definitely scroll down a bit and take a look at all the beautiful easel cards that were created by the Magnolia-licious DT...so inspiring!

9 comments:

Joy said...

I love your easel card. this looked like lots of fun to make. I am sure your friend will love it! thanks again for my cute doggies! I can't use them...they are so cute! lol! have a wonderful week!

Little C's Creations said...

What a sweet card, Eunice! Aunty Pat will be sooo happy to receive it!!

Cyndi said...

beautiful card! love the scene!

"Um Buggin" said...

Hi Eunice! This card is just beautiful! I love all the little added details you've used, right down to the tiny punch of the flower centers. The colors are just perfect together, and I'm sure your friend will treasure it forever. Have a wonderful week!

Hugz, xx

~L~

Creations by Patti said...

Eunice

Love the pandas. Color combo for this card is great!!!! Thanks for sharing - love this as a easel card!

bets
Patti

Cheryl said...

What a sweet easel card Eunice! So pretty with all the touches of gold. Your friend will sure love it.

Teri said...

Love the pandas! The cherry blossoms are beautiful too! Thanks for inspiring me!

Kelly said...

What a great card. A lot of thought went into this card, I'm sure your friend will ove it.

Jodi said...

SO cute!! These panda's are just adorable and I love this cartridge too!
Hugs
Jodi =)