Sunday, July 25, 2010

Hang In There...Don't Go Bananas!

This was my first attempt at a double staircase card, and a shameful copy of a super cute card origninally created by a super creative blogging pal, Jenny of Crazy for Paper Crafting. When I first laid eyes on Jenny's "Let's Hang Out" card, I knew it would be just the perfect card to send to dd during exam time to cheer her up. Cute little monkey is from the Create A Critter cart. I changed the sentiment on the card to "Hang In There" to fit the occasion of dd's stressful week of studying for finals, using MTC and true type fonts LD Charming Bold and Arial for this.
I didn't have any of that cute Doodlebug nature walk paper Jenny used for her card, or for that matter, any forest themed papers at all. My card looked pretty much "bleh", and really needed something, so I added a couple of trees from the ZooBallo cartridge. Unfortunately, in order to be able to hang the vine in the trees, they had to be cut quite large, and as a result their leaves and branches hide the sentiment from full view. *Sigh*
Here's the "inside" sentiment I added to the back of my card. Smiling banana is also a Create A Critter cut.
One of the "big issues" I always have with these staircase type cards is how they tend to want to open up and flatten when I add a lot of die cuts and embellishments to them...

So I decided to add on strips of cardstock to the bottom on both sides of the card to prevent the card from opening more than I wanted. This seems to have done the trick!
Sent this together with her requested care package of Tomoe sakura arare ("gotta be Tomoe, mom!") to dd as she faces her scariest and final finals before she starts her year of rotations. "You can do it, babee!"

10 comments:

Teri said...

OMG Eunice! I just LOVE your card! I tell ya, you are the cricut master...LOVE all of your creations and this one is no different. I'm always in awe looking at your projects!!

Creations by Patti said...

Eunice

LOVE this card - great job.....looks like so much fun to be a monkey swinging on the card. I love this card style.

my best,
Patti

Janis said...

What a cute card. I love the latest job with the monkey. The stairs just made the monkey really swing!!! TFS!

Joy said...

Eunice! you out did yourself as this is so cute! I haven't tried this double step card...is it hard to make? I love what you did and that monkey is too cute! love to see all your creations! still have to post your awesome card too! thanks! have a great week!

Cyndi said...

awesome card! they always look so professional!

Kelly said...

OMG Eunice, I love this card. I love the way you put the trees on both sides to give a jungle effect, I can almost hear the jungle sounds in the background! The monkey is SO cute! You did an incredible job, I'm sure it will make your daughter smile!

Anonymous said...

Love the card and the colors you've used. Very cute!
Thanks for the idea of adding those strips.

PJ (Jessie Adams)

Jodi said...

OH Eunice!! Your DD will just LOVE this card!! I LOVE it! Too cute and sweet!! I really like the monkey swinging on the vine!!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Jenny said...

Hi Eunice!
No shame! I'm flattered you thought mine was nice enough to CASE! (I'm a BIG fan of your work too.) You did a great job- I like the added trees! Can't wait to see what you do next!

Jenny
crazyforpaper.blogspot.com

Cheryl said...

Cute Eunice! Love it! You are such a pro with the Cricut. I haven't touched my machine in 2 years. I should pull it out and play with it.