Monday, June 7, 2010

Birthday Cake In A Box

I decided to do another Cake In A Box, this time for the birthday of my very good friend, Kris. The original idea for this project comes from Patti of Creations By Patti. She has several different and incredibly beautiful versions of this, as well as a detailed and easy to follow tutorial posted on her blog. Go check it out! She is truly an inspiration.

Here's a look at the inside of the box with the lid off...


The box opens up and panels lay flat to reveal the cake and birthday message.

Laid flat, this measures 12 x12...(HUGE!) with lots of room for sentiments and creative embellishing.


I used Spellbinder Nestabilities Labels One die on the panels for my sentiments and Scallop Circle die as the doily under the Sizzix Pop Up Cake.

Icing on the cake is cut from a Sizzlits Decorative Strip die, and paper blossoms are from All Natural Accents, both glitzed up with Stickles glitter applied with a paint brush. Also added Robins Nest clear dewdrops to the candle flames for added shine.

And the rose (yes, that's what it's supposed to be) on the top of the cake is my first lame attempt at making one of those spiral flowers that seem to be all the rage right now.

I used a scallop circle punch cut into a sprial and followed the assembly instructions for the Sizzix 3D flower on the Sizzix website. My original intent was to convince myself that I could create this rose without having to purchase the Sizzix die. But I wasn't entirely happy with how it turned out...so when I snagged a 40% off coupon last week, I couldn't resist buying the die afterall.

9 comments:

Teri said...

super cute birthday cake Eunice! I never had good luck making this sizzix cake...love your box too! Such a wonderful card/cake combo!

Creations by Patti said...

Lisa

Thank you for posting a link to my blog. You did a fabulous job on this cake - love all the words in the frame. Colors used are just perfect - a great gift for anyone!!!! I need to make more of these - they were so much fun!!!!

hugs from SF, Patti

Kelly said...

WOW...This is totally awesome! What a work of art and a labor or love. Great colors and detail. Kris will treasure this for sure!

Joy said...

you go Eunice! this is a fabulous birthday cake in a pretty box! I am in so awe of you ladies who make these very delicate and difficult projects! I love them, but won't dare to try. such a lovely creation! keep them coming!

Kyoko said...

Very pretty Eunice!! I love what you did with your box ... need to check out the tutorial! TFS!

Anonymous said...

Kris is so blessed to have such a talented friend like you!

Dawne :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Eunice!

Kris is blessed to have such a thoughtful & talented friend like you!

Dawne :)

"Um Buggin" said...

WOW!! Eunice, this is just GORGEOUS! I can see all the work and love you put into this awesome creation. I can only imagine your friends face when she opens it. You always go the extra mile in your creations, that is what makes them so special! I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Hugz, xx

~L~

Janis said...

Love the way you did the explosion card. And love the RAK from Enjoli. TFS!!!