Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hugs 'n Kisses 'n Butterfly Wishes...

This was my first attempt at a "Cake in A Box" which I originally saw (and immediately fell in love with) done by Patti on her blog, Creations By Patti. As I've mentioned many many times, Patti is one incredibly talented and creative lady, and the things she comes up with never ceases to amaze me. You can take a peek at her awesome cake creations posted here, complete with tutorials on how you can create one too. Her work is so beautiful and meticulously done, I am always so inspired by all she does.


When the cover to the box is lifted, this is what it looks inside....kind of looks like one of those little "explosion boxes"...


The sides of the box fold down...



And opens up to a full 12x12 inches laid flat, with lots of room for embellishing and sentiments!



One of the nicest things about this is that since the cake never gets folded flat, you can embellish it to your heart's desire without ever having to worry about the bulkiness of it or about whether or not it will hold its shape.


I used pretty butterfly printed card stock from s.e.i.'s Chocolat collection to do the cover and inside panels for my box.
Here are a couple close up shots of a few of the panels...



The sentiments on each panel were computer generated using Scriptina font, printed on vellum, and adhered onto the individual panels. Panels on the inside and sides of the box outside were embellished with fancy scrolling cuts from the Home Accents cartridge.

The sweet little paper blossoms you see sprinkled on the cake and panels were made using a hydrangea flower Design Studio cutfile created and very generously shared by Shirley O on her blog, Paper, Scissors Ink. Shirley is quite a wiz at designing some very cool stuff on Design Studio and SCAL. Take this link to to her blog and you'll agree! (Don't forget to leave a comment thanking her if you decide to download any of her wonderful cutfiles!)


And here's a close up of the Sizzix Pop Up Cake in the center. I loved Patti's butterfly cake so much, I had to try one too. Butterflies on mine are pink vellum cut with a Martha Stewart punch, and embellished with tiny pearls. Cake sides are washi paper and the scalloped "icing" is a border cut from Plantin Schoolbook. Used a Nestablilties scalloped circle die for the "doily" and a 1/4" handpunch for the holes.


It took me quite a while to put this all together, but I must admit it was so much fun! This special little cake in a box was created for my mom for her birthday last month. The best part of it all was watching her face light up as she opened the box to find her cake inside... makes everything seem worthwhile, right?

9 comments:

Kelly said...

OMG...This is gorgeous! Absolutely stunning! I LOVE the colors and your embellishments are perfect!

paperscissorsink said...

WOW, that is beautiful, love all the amazing details you put into every inch of this, what a wonderful gift! Thank you for sharing :)

Jenny said...

Hi Eunice!

Love this cake! Isn't this a great idea? That way your cake won't smash! I just love those little flowers- is that a punch? I also love how you did the background.

Jenny
crazyforpaper.blogspot.com

**CrEaTiNgWiThAlOhA** said...

wow you did an awesome job...love your card.....TFS;) Liann

"Um Buggin" said...

WoW!! Eunice, you have been quite the creator my friend. I haven't been visiting lately, and can see I missed all your wonderful creations. Hope all is well with you and yours. Love your fabulous cake box, it is gorgeous! Keep in touch, and I will be back soon.

Hugz, xx

~L~

Creations by Patti said...

Eunice: this is absolutely stunning. I love the icing on the side of the cake and the paper used is way over the top.....georgous. Great job on this!!! AND, Valentine's day is coming up so I can't wait to see what you make!!! TFS....hugs, Patti

Joy said...

so pretty. that looks like a lot of work and hard to make. I love the colors you used to. what a great gift to receive. TFS

Kim's Life said...

So very Beautiful! You did great!

Anonymous said...

The cake is beautifully decorated. Like the colors throughout.

I agree. Although the pop-up cake for cards is nice, the cake in a box is so much better - no smooshing!

PJ (Jessie Adams)