Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Happy Birthday, My Friend

This is the card I recently sent out to a new blogging pal, Patti Lee, of Creations By Patti. She is a multi-talented, super creative lady who makes the most beautiful cards and incredible projects ever. She never ceases to amaze me with what she comes up with! If you enjoy 3 dimensional paper crafts and things with an Asian flair, you will find so much to "ooh!" and "aah!" about at her blog.

I knew I wanted to do Patti's card in red (her favorite color) and with an Asian flavor. I found a pretty good source for free Chinese/Japanese characters online at The Japanese Connection, and chose to import the character for "friend" to Inkscape. Then I used SCAL and my Cricut to cut it out of Currency Gold cardstock.

To cut the circular window and frame, I used a circle and scalloped circle Nestabilities. For an added touch, I cut two identical frames, one in gold and one in red. On the red frame, I used a Fiskars hand held punch to punch tiny hearts on each scallop, then layered it over the gold frame so it would show through. I first saw this idea done on some super cute cards at Kreative Korner By Kelly. Such an easy and simple idea, but I love how it really adds a special something! (Thanks, Kelly!)


The two cute little girls peering from above the frame is an image from Whipper Snapper Designs. Colored them with Copics, cut out just their heads and arms, then used foam tape to pop them up over the frame.

Inside the card I layered red foil and gold cardstock cut with the Nestabilities Label Four dies and centered my character for "friend" so it would peek out the front window. Sentiments were cut using the Opposites Attract Font cartridge and then it was done!


Don't you just love it when you're able to use a lot of your tools to create a card? I used at least ten different tools to create this one. Ah, yes... justification for buying all that stuff I "really need"!

9 comments:

Janis said...

Super cute Asian BD card! I love the Whipper Snapper image. Great job!

Michele said...

I love everything about this card...the colors, the images, the layout, and especially the fact that you used your Cricut for it! My Cricut is slowly getting dusty as I am using stamps more and more for my cards/crafts...your card inspired me to get the dust off of it and start putting it to use again! Thanks!

Jenny said...

Hi Eunice,
You've outdone yourself again!!! I love it. Thanks for sharing!

Jenny
crazyforpaper.blogspot.com

Waipahu CBDO dba Waipahu Community Coalition said...

what a stunning card- terrific job and I love the little kids! Thanks for sharing

"Um Buggin" said...

Eunice , this card is fabulous my friend! I love the colors of red and gold together, it makes the card so rich looking. Your coloring is just amazing, I'm just starting to play with my copics, after having them for more that a couple of months. Super cute! TFS

Hugz, xx

~L~

Jodi said...

Wow!! This is so pretty Eunice! You are so awesome with all of your creations!! Love the images and the colors you used!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Joy said...

this is beautiful! I love the asian look to the whole card! cute the two girls too! I have that stamp and I love it! I need to look for an asian dragon...my daughter is the year of the dragon...want to throw a party with that theme in mind. TFS your awesome creations!

Creations by Patti said...

Thank You again ever so much for my card - I still stare at it a LOT! And, now I can know how it was put together. Yes, our craft does justify what we buy, for sure. I love those 2 girls - haven't heard of Whipper Snapper. Your care to each detail makes this gift even more special. Thank you again! My best from the mainland: Patti

Teri said...

Another beautiful creation Eunice! YOU never cease to amaze me!! Love these chinese girls, Patti will just love her special card!