Sunday, July 12, 2009

Running Late Belated Birthday


Last month while shopping at the Hallmark store in my area, I saw the cutest pop-up Father's Day card with Snoopy on it. As you opened the card, Snoopy's ears unfolded and popped up! I immediately thought of my good friend and shopping buddy, Kris, who loves Pochacco, and thought it might be fun to try something similar for her birthday card.


As it turned out, it wasn't as easy as it appeared. Although the pop up mechanism for this card is actually just a pair of arcs cut at the inside folds of the card, it took a bit of experimenting to figure out the right length the arc needed to be to get Pochacco's ears to fold open and pop up correctly. (I kept thinking to myself how I should have paid more attention in geometry class!) I also found that I had to end up lengthening Pochacco's ears to get it all to work right.

I tried to take photos showing the movement of the ears as the card is opened, but it was difficult to capture the full effect with still pictures.


...And this is the card fully opened. Pochacco cuts were created using Inkscape and Sure Cuts A Lot.


When I first saw this card, I got excited with all sorts of ideas I wanted to try; like having a cheerleader raising her pompoms in the air as the card is opened... but after this, I think I've changed my mind. I need a geometry refresher course on arcs and angles before I attempt this again. Guess that's why they call it "paper engineering"!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Eunice,
Awesome as usual. How do you figure these things out?

Jenny
crazyforpaper.blogspot.com

Creations by Patti said...

aw - come on Eunice, with all your talent, I know you can figure it out.........

Joy said...

this is so awesome!!!! I love Pocho! he's the cutest dog in the world! you did a great job on this card! love how his ears pop out! you come up with such wonderful creations! TFS!

Jodi said...

I love Pochacco!! He was my favorite sanrio character back in those days!! He still is, but so is HK!!
Very awesome card!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Kelly said...

OMG Eunice this is SO CUTE! You are amazing! I'm going to have to get with you to explain SCAL to me...you really have an awesome blog! I LOVE your work!