Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Samurai Warrior Helmet & Flying Carp

Last year while searching for ideas for Boys Day cards, I came across several images of samurai warrior helmets called "kabuto" which are typically displayed to celebrate the occasion. At that time I was in too much of a hurry to work on a cutfile so instead, I ended up altering a cutfile of a fish to create a "koi nobori" or flying carp decoration for a Boys Day card for dd's bf last year. I came across those same helmet images again this year, and somehow they didn't seem quite as intimidating this time. I decided to give it a try on Design Studio. Using shapes from the George and Jasmine cartridges to create the cutfile, it surprisingly came together pretty quickly. Piecing it all together and adding the details, including making the cord out of dmc thread, is what took time. I used Bazzill Tuxedo Bling cardstock for the base and coordinating washi paper, metallic and currency gold cardstocks to embellish; a krylon gold leafing pen for the outline details and a small sakura punch for the helmet decoration. For the cording, I took a length of dmc embroidery thread, separated it into two lengths of four strands, then twisted and twisted and twisted (!) until it started looking like a cord. To finish, I tied a knot and separated the strands at the end to resemble a tassle. It was a lot of work, but I was really happy with how it turned out.


I came across the cutest decorated fish cookies while shopping at the mall for Boys Day goodies. Thought dd's bf might enjoy getting these, since I know he likes frosted animal cookies. I wanted to be sure they got to him in one piece so I made this giftbox and decorated the top with a pair of flying carp.


I used shapes from the George and Plantin Schoolbook cartridges to create this cutfile. The printed cardstock on the cover is from the new DCWV Glittered Spring Stack...I really liked how the design kind of reminded me of fish scales and thought it would be perfect for this project.

Although we continue to celebrate May 5th as Boys Day (Tango no Sekku), it is officially celebrated in Japan as Childrens Day (Kodomo no Hi). And of course, I couldn't send dd a care package without something special for HER too, right? This is the little Hello Kitty designer bag I made for dd to wrap up her surprise limited edition HK Mac lipgloss. (Who, in their right mind spends so much for lipgloss? I must be nuts!)

Cambria Turnbow has a great tutorial on her blog for the designer bag. I used black semigloss Hallmark wrapping paper for this bag and decorated with a cut from the Hello Kitty Greetings cartridge and a Martha Stewart eyelet lace scallop border punch. The tab closure at the top of the bag is a DS cutfile I made using the George cartridge. Very quick and easy!

7 comments:

Ali said...

Love the Samurai card! And the gift packaging for your dd's bf is cute...gives me some great ideas! Thanks for sharing! Great job!

Jenny said...

That Samurai card is amazing! I wouldn't know where to begin! I'll have to start using my Cricut DS more often!

Jenny

Teri said...

OMG Eunice!! I totally LOVE this samurai warrior helmet! It looks so real!! Also loved your flying carp card and those cookies are too cute! Your dd is so lucky to get these special HK treats from mom!! Wow! I'm such in awe of your projects here Eunice!! Thanks for sharing!! hugs, Teri

Little C's Creations said...

Ahhhh... you are surely on top of things. I missed Boy's Day... hee heee.... you did awesome on tihs helmet, love it!!!

I've also given you an award on my blog. Stop by n' ck it out!!

Hugs,
Jen

Joy said...

this is a really GREAT boy's day card! I love the helmet! it is truly a strong, bold symbol of the samurai! I love it! the carp is cute too and even the HK bag! you've been working hard yah?! you go girl! have a great weekend!

Kyoko said...

WOW Eunice, your Samurai card is totally AWESOME! I wouldn't know where to begin to create something like that! You are so creative and TFS!

Jen said...

Eunice! The helmet turned out wonderfully!!! and the flying carp are great too. My dad had been given a warrior helmet many years ago on one of his trips to Japan. Not sure where it is now but I always loved all of the details and the shape. Your card reminded me of it.

THANKS for sharing!!!