Saturday, January 24, 2009

Xin Nian Kuai Le!


Learned how to say "Happy New Year!" in Mandarin this week by watching tutorial videos on Youtube. Yeah, I'm such a dork. "Xin Nian Kuai Le!" Learned that the phrase, "Gung Hay Fat Choy!" which I am more familiar with is Cantonese, and actually literally translates to "May prosperity be with you". Learn something new everyday!


For a Chinese New Year treat, I baked a batch of dh's favorite almond cookies (that's about as Chinese as my cooking gets) to pass out to his family at our celebration dinner. Wanted the cookies to look presentable, so I packaged them in cellophane bags sealed with my old Seal-A-Meal bag sealer. For the bag topper, I used a cute little ox image I found on the internet at a children's craft site called Activity Village. You'll be delighted to find lots of neat activities and cute images on this site geared for children but great for the little kid in all of us. They even have li-si that you can print up and make...the best part is, it's all free! I added the "Year of the Ox" and "2009" to the ox image using a circle template in Microsoft Word, then printed them out on glossy photo paper. Used my Nestabilities dies to cut out the circles and scalloped circles and attached them to the red cardstock topper. Very easy.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Cookies so so yummy and homemade too! Cute topper - gotta check out the Microsoft template. That's exactly what I need for my granddau's bd topper.

"Um Buggin" said...

WOW!! Eunice, these cookies look so yummy, like you can eat them right off the screen. LOL You did an outstanding job on these my friend. TFS

Hugz,

~L~

Joy said...

so cute! I love that ox...I should go check out that website to see what else they have. TFS! those cookies look so yummy!!!

Teri said...

You always make the coolest stuff Eunice! I love the topper for these yummy almond cookies! Thanks for the link to that site. I already checked it out!!

Creations by Patti said...

Thank you for sharing the info on where to purchase the "year of" stamp. I am always looking for those specific Asian (particularly Cantonese type stamps. Love your site - so cute! again, thanks for sharing.........gotta get over to the Island.