Sunday, August 30, 2026

Tiered Triple Wiper Birthday Card

The birthday card I'm sharing today is a fun updated version of an old favorite mechanism which I recently learned from watching a video tutorial by Sam Calcott of Made to Surprise.
 

Since this was made for a dear friend who owns a beautiful calico kitty, I wanted to do a cat themed birthday card. I found a "Kawaii Cat Clipart Bundle" on Etsy with the cutest kitties which I thought would work perfectly for this card. The birthday balloons were die cut with Pretty Pink Posh "Party Balloon" die. I used "Happy Birthday Words" die from Hello Bluebird, and Taylored Expressions "Celebration Confetti" die for stars and confetti.
After doing a print and cut of several of the cats from the bundle, I created and cut a shadow layer for each from black cardstock.The cut cat images were then adhered to their shadows and attached to a Triple Wiper style card mechanism. See it in action here:



As the tab on the bottom right side of the card is pulled, wiper mechanisms allow each of the three cats to appear behind one another. In the past I remember using double wiper mechanisms to make cards that had images pop up opposite each other, but having the wiper mechanisms layered behind each other on tiered panels was a new and novel concept for me.  

The placement of the cats onto the wiper mechanisms was a little tricky since I wanted all the cats to be visible when the card was fully open, but after fiddling with it for a while I managed to work it out. I used LD Charming Bold font for the " to a special friend" laser printed sentiment, adding a shadow layer to cut each word. The words were run through a Minc with gold hot foil and  glued onto each cat image.

I used a fourth cat image together with more die cut birthday balloons to decorate the front of the matching gift card holder. Inside I used  "Srushti Patil's Sliding Pop Up" mechanism. Stamped sentiment is from Mama Elephant "Paola's Wishes" stamp set.

No comments: