Sunday, August 20, 2023

Happy Cake Day

 I decided to give the Double Hinged Shutter Pop Up Card mechanism another try with this birthday card for my sister in law. She is mom to a sweet Shiba Inu, and being that I have collected so many Shiba Inu images, I wanted to use some of them on her card.

I love the double hinged movement of this pop up card! As the card is opened, the two images you see through the window on the front of the card pop forward and move apart to the sides to reveal the panel inside the card. 

As the two front panels move apart, the panels attached to them also become visible. A video tutorial and template by Tatyana Zhykova of Crazy Paper for this style card can be found here. For my card, I enlarged the size of the individual panels and the front window so I could get my paper piecings to fit more comfortably.

For the panels on the left side of the card, I used MFT's Cupcake and Sprinkles die for the cupcake and Karen Burniston's Big Birthday Charms set for the slice of cake. Word art "Happy Cake Day" was created in Make the Cut Design program using fonts "Memo" and "Hello Valentica".

Die cut presents and confetti on the right panel were cut using dies from Karen Burniston's Big Birthday Charms set and svg cutting files for the Shiba Inu images are from Creative Cat and Co. All panels were run through an embossing folder from Cuttlebug's Decorative Tile Set.

Truthfully, this was not a "quick and easy" card for me to put together. I think the biggest problem was caused by my wanting to increase the size of the panels and not realizing right away the effect it would have on the entire working mechanism. Paper engineer, I'm not! Finally got the hinges to work properly after several tweaks... I definitely need to practice on a few more cards before I'm feeling comfotable with this pop up.


1 comment:

Lynn said...

I think this card turned out very well considering all the complicated changes you made. You have so much patience. I don't have a lot so I'm not likely to try a card as difficult as this one. I'm much more likely to just sit back and enjoy looking at your posts. LOL! Thanks for sharing....I always get so excited when I see that you have a new post!