Sunday, June 13, 2021

Wish Upon A Star

Today I'm sharing a card I recently put together for the birthday of my dear friend and crafting buddy Kris. I chose to use the Karen Burniston Parcel Pop Up die to make her card, mostly because I struggled with the assembly of this mechanism on another card last month, and felt I needed more play time with it so I could better familiarize myself with the workings of this die. 

I made a bottom fold card, using clear acetate for the top half of the card front and embellishing with cloud and star cuts. I also cut and adhered mirrored images of the clouds directly behind on the inside so no unsightly adhesive would be showing through from the cloud cuts on the front. To keep the card closed, I added a thin neodymium magnet sandwiched between star cuts to the top of the acetate panel and another on the inside under the blue panel.

As the card is opened, Little Twin Stars floats up from behind the clouds. I used Lawn Fawn's Puffy Cloud Border die to cut a panel the same width as the card and glued it to the front of the Parcel Pop Up mechanism so Little Twin Stars would seem to appear from behind it.

Cutting file for paper pieced Little Twin Stars was created in Make the Cut design program from a coloring book image. Sentiments on the clouds were done using Lauren Script font and the print and cut function. As it turned out, the completed Little Twin Stars image ended up being too wide to fit behind the pop up mechanism.

Luckily, I was able to snip off the two struts on the Parcel Pop Up mechanism that normally hold it in place in the card and replace them with two added strips of cardstock placed further apart on both sides of the cloud border panel. Yay! So happy what I feared would be a major disaster ended up as a win-win situation. Now that I've figured out a fix, it's nice knowing I won't have to worry too much about exceeding the width of what can be attached to this pop up mechanism. Definitely feeling more comfortable using this pop up die now and looking forward to creating many fun cards with it.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Winner, winner...Birthday Card Twinner! You did a marvelous job with this card. I'm sure your friend will love it and treasure it forever. Glad that you solved the problem. I know that it is so satisfying when a fix is achieved and no one can tell. Thanks for sharing your craftiness.