Sunday, March 17, 2019

Flying Tsuru Wiper Card

I decided to make my dear friend Lorna a Wiper style card for her birthday, mostly because I felt I wanted to get more practice putting this type of card together. I kept the embellishing simple by adhering washi paper to the shorter front panel and attaching an Asian scenic border cut using Amy Design's "Chinese Landscape" die.

As the card is pulled open,

... a crane rises up from behind the pagoda. I attached a strip of clear acetate to the mechanism so it would appear that the crane was flying. Hard to believe but the mechanism that creates all the fun movement is just a strip of folded cardstock attached to a corner behind the front panel. A search for "Wiper Card" on You Tube brings up many good tutorials on how to create this card but I took the easy way out and purchased a cutting file for one of the many cute wiper cards from the Lori Whitlock Store instead. The wiper mechanism is "generic" so the card can be customized as you please.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

So elegantly Asian...love it! It reminds me of the super fancy cards I see in Japan and occasionally purchase just to admire them. Your card making skills are just outstanding. I'm in awe!

Pats P said...

This is a lovely card and different from anything I've seen so far. Thank you for the photos and descriptions. It gives me a few ideas for ways to use the Chinese Landsxape die. I really love it.