Saturday, December 22, 2018

Slippahs for Christmas

I guess most everywhere else these are called "Flip Flops", but here in the islands most of us grew up calling them "Rubbah Slippahs". Anyway, I thought it would be kind of fun to use these paper "Flip Flops" as gift card holders this Christmas. Thanks to Pinterest, I was able to track down a freebie cutting file for these at Paper Dolls blog, here

The freebie cutting file is for a taller,  more feminine, wedge style or deeper box (about 2 inches in height) but since I also wanted to make these for guys, I altered the cutting file by decreasing the height of the box to approximately 1 inch for the guys. For the design on the flip flops, I found a file for digital paper that looked almost like a tapa print and used it to do a fill, print and cut on my Silhouette.

        I cut inserts to fit inside each box with tabs cut to hold the gift cards in place.

Just for fun I ran the bottom panel or sole of flip flops through Couture Creations Candy Stripe embossing folder to add some some texture.


For the ladies, I kept the 2 inch height to the flip flops. I used a digital hibiscus border design to use as a fill pattern and did a print and cut for the tops. Since these boxes were deeper, I added paper shreds so the insole inserts with the gift cards would sit higher in the box.

The outsoles were run through an embossing folder with a tiny flower pattern for texture. I made seven pairs of these for Christmas gifts, and  also made boxes just the right size for each pair of flip flops to fit in. These were so much fun to make and give because they really looked so much like the real thing.

No comments: