Friday, October 27, 2017

Mini Halloween Shadowbox

Halloween is next week already so it's time to post some of the fun Halloween projects I've been working on. My turn to share at my craft club was last month, and this was the shadow box Make and Take project I came up with.
Been noticing a lot of these mini shadowboxes on the internet lately and after watching a few You Tube video tutorials and seeing how quick and easy they can be, I decided to do a Halloween themed one to share with my craft club.

The template for the shadowbox was created in Make the Cut, but simple enough to recreate without a cutting machine. The height and width of my box is 4-1/2 inches square, with a depth of 1-1/2 inches. The window is 3 inches in height and 3-1/2 inches wide cut on my Silhouette, but you could use any shaped die to cut the window. A stitched landscape die was used to make the struts, cutting them to a length of 5-1/2 inches, scoring 1/2 inch on each end for the tabs to attach them inside the box.
The cute haunted house and ghost is an image from Miss Kate's Cuttables, The purple sky, moon, and bat were added in Printshop to create a backdrop for the inside of the card. Vampire Hello Kitty and pumpkins is a freebie printable file found at the Hello Kitty Coloring Pages website found here. Images were printed, then cut on the Silhouette using Make the Cut's print and cut function.

I'm usually too lazy to draw up templates, but since this was a Make and Take share project, I did make one this time. Each square represents 1/2 an inch, solid lines are cutting lines, red dashed lines are scorelines.

Here's a top view of the card to show the placement of the struts. I placed my struts 1/2 an inch apart. The video tutorials I've noted on the template screenshot above show the easy assembly of this card.

And since the intent of this card was for giving  treats to my "kids at heart" friends, I added a pocket to the backside to slip in a gift card. Using gift cards for Mickey D's or Wendy's makes this a great non-candy alternative for real kids too!

Nicest thing about this card is that it folds flat and fits into an A6 size envelope. Stay tuned for more Halloween projects to be posted soon!

1 comment:

Shirley N said...

Your shadow boxes are adorable, I bet everyone had fun making this at your make and take! Thanks for sharing your process!