Sunday, October 2, 2016

Growing Something Special

This is the card I made to send to my daughter and son in law when they recently called us with the joyous news that hubby and I are going to be grandparents! I had been wanting to do a card with Wall-E and Eve for them for the longest time, and this seemed like the perfect occasion.

Thank goodness for the incredibly talented Krafty Nook and all the wonderful Disney fan art svg files she so generously shares on her site! The mere thought of having to create a cutting file for Wall-E and all his tiny pieces gives me a rash...but happily Krafty Nook had already created one that I could use. The only thing I had to do was to create a cut file for the precious little plant in the boot. This I did using Make the Cut to render a coloring book image into a cut file. All the pieces for Wall-E, Eve, and the plant in the boot were cut from white cardstock and I used Copic pens to color them up.

A Punch Bunch mini punch was used to cut the stars, and together with Stickles glitter and a white gel pen I was able to create the starry backgrounds. "Congratulations" was cut from DCWV glitter cardstock using a metal die from Avery Elle's Sentimental set.

The cutting file for the arced sentiment on the top of the card, "Growing Something Special" was created using true type font Charming Bold and the Bezier Warp function in Make the Cut.

I decided to use one of my all time favorite card styles, the Free Standing Pop Up Card to showcase Wall-E and Eve. You can find a step by step tutorial by Mary Jo and a video tutorial by Beate Johns  here at Splitcoast Stampers. The only thing I did differently was to change the sliding panel into a tri-fold one. If you decide to do this, don't forget to cut the slit in the base wider to accommodate the the extra bulk of the tri-fold.

Here's a view of the backside of the card where I added our sentiment.

Definitely the coolest part about this card is how it folds flat to fit in an envelope for mailing!

After folding in the side panels, the slider slides into the base of the card...

...and here it is completely closed flat and ready to be put into an envelope.
I had so much fun putting this card together! Just love it when a card comes out looking just the way I had imagined in my head. 

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Congrats on the upcoming birth of your 1st grandchild! I think your card will really delight the parents-to-be. The unique format and characters make your card a one-of-a-kind Eunice original. I love seeing your creative projects. Thanks for posting them!

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

CONGRATS Eunice and Glenn. What joyous and exciting news. Your card is incredibly awesome and I love the sentiment inside. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me.