Saturday, September 13, 2014

Happy Birthday, Vegas Style

My mil is celebrating her birthday in Las Vegas this week...how lucky is she! So of course I had to send her off with a Vegas slot machine style birthday card, right? This fun card is a total CASE of a card originally created and shared at a recent Cricut Club meeting by my sweet and crafty friend, Kris. I thought it was the neatest card ever, and knew it would be the perfect birthday card for my mil.
The cutting file for the slot machine comes from Scrappy Dew's Viva Las Vegas file. Lol, how's that for a lot of rhinestone bling? I loved how Kris used strips of rhinestones to embellish her card...really brought to mind all the blinking lights on the machines in Vegas, so of course I had to do the same on mine!
But the best thing about Kris' card is that it's a FUN interactive card....
...pull down on the tab on the bottom of the card for a Happy Birthday message. (I used an Elizabeth Craft Designs die for this) But wait...did you notice...?


Pulling down on the tab also makes the display on the slot machine "roll" from triple 7's to triple cherries! Unfortuately, I'm sorry to say that I'm not at liberty to share the details of the rolling mechanism of this card at this time. But for now, what I can tell you is that the mechanics of this "rolling window" is the wonderful brainstorm of  the extremely talented "Stampin' Sandra".
However, if you'd like to try a card similar to this, but with a "sliding" window instead, you could easily substitute with the mechanism of a "Hidden Message Card" instead. The tutorial by Beate Johns can be found  over at Splitcoast Stampers.
To add dimension and also to allow the mechanism to slide smoothly, I added a 1/4" gusset along the edges of the slot machine and attached it to the front of a shaped card. On the inside, I added my sentiment and used a Memory Box Scalloped Corner Notches die to cut slits so I could slide in a little envelope to fill with some lucky $$$.
Happily, my mil seemed to enjoy her slot machine card....and right about now, she's probably having lots of fun celebrating her birthday and  playing on the the real thing. Lucky lady. You GO Mom! Bring home the money!!!

3 comments:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

OHHHHHMGOSH, HOW COOL IS THAT????? What a perfect card for your MIL. You make the most spectacular cards and projects and never cease to amaze me. WOW!!!!! Wishing your MIL a very happy birthday and hope she hits the BIG ONE.

Sue from Oregon said...

Oh so fun!

Tina H said...

What!!! Shut the front door!!! This is so amazing! I can't get over how awesome this card is! Wow! The details are so spectacular and I hope you share the mechanism for the rolling window of the slot sooooon! This is just stunning! Love it, Eunice :)