Monday, April 15, 2013

Double Zigzag Wedding Card

Making wedding cards are always a welcome change in pace for me from my usual cutesy cards. They give me a chance to play with all the lacy edge punches, intricate dies and fancy embossing folders I like to collect but rarely use! To add a personal touch, I often try to guess the color scheme or theme of the wedding from the invitations we receive and challenge myself to come up with something similar.
For hubby's cousin's wedding last month, we received the elegant invitation you see on the left in the photo above.
Thought this would be a great chance to try out a Double Zigzag card like the beautiful one I spied shared by Marianne on her blog, Mariannes Papirverden. Click on this link and it will take you to see Marianne's amazing card and her tutorial. It's all in Swedish ( I think) so you'll have to click on the Google Translate gadget on the upper right hand side of her blog to see it in English. If you like the look of Victorian and lace, you will totally fall in love with her creations!
*Sigh* Unfortunately, I have not yet learned how to do Victorian so my card is a rather simplistic version... I used EK Success Layered Arches edge punch to do the top border, and Cuttlebug Juli's Garden embossing folder for the front panels.
For my focal point on the front of my card, I decided to try and create a cutfile of the fancy monogram on the original wedding invitation with the help of MTC. Didn't have any pewter color paper on hand so I cut the monogram from shimmery white gold paper and used a grey Copic pen to color it.
Here's the card as you open it up...
Cuts using Memory Box Honeysuckle Vine and Cuttlebug Vintage dies were used to embellish the inside panels. "Always and Forever" cut was created with MTC and CAC Shishoni Brush font. On Marianne's card, her center panel "opens up" to reveal her sentiment, but I decided to change mine by having mine "open down" instead...
...so I could incorporate a surprise pop-up cake inside with my sentiment.
Wedding cake was cut using Cottage Cutz Celebration Cake die. Double heart cake topper was created in MTC, and the shimmery green background panel was made by spritzing plain cardstock with Iridescent Pearl Maya Mist then running it through Cuttlebug Juli's Garden embossing folder.
 
Finally, while making the envelope for my card I decided to try something new. Before attaching it to the envelope, I ran the flap for the envelope through my Big Shot cutter with the Memory Box Honeysuckle Vine die. I glued a plain piece of cardstock onto the backside of the flap to cover the "hole" from the back, then carefully glued a leftover die cut piece that had been cut from a shimmery, textured cardstock into the "hole" in the front of the flap. I thought this gave it kind of a very cool "inlaid" look.
Enjoyed putting this together, though it did take quite a bit of time and a whole lot of measuring (which I always struggle with) to get all the colored inset pieces to fit onto the base card. After making this first Double Zigzag card, I used MTC to create a cutfile to make a card for another wedding, but still struggled to get all the pieces to fit correctly. Will share more about this later...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a "wow" card.
Love all of the details,especially the pop up cake;super creative.

PJ

Creations by Patti said...

Beautiful card: love all the cool elements on it, especially the pop down that reveals the cake!!!Thanks for sharing ---urber gorgeous!!! xxoo, P

Lynn said...

I've never seen a double Zigzag card before. It is an impressive layout especially the cake that folds down. The envelope and sprayed embossed paper are nice touches. I'm sure that it took hours to create but the end result is certainly worth it. I hope the couple save this card in an album because it definitely is a keeper.