Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Splashin' Good Time!

Here's another whimsical card I made, this one for a little boy's first birthday celebration. The theme for his party was "Ocean Friends", and happily I found a plethora of cute ocean creatures to cut on the Life's A Beach cartridge to use on my card. I used the Don Juan font cartridge for the wording on the front of the card. I've found this font to be one of the easiest of the Cricut fonts to weld together with Design Studio and like that it remains easy to read after welding.
I decided to use a center pleated card format for this card, and used strips of clear acetate glued into the center pleats to hold my ocean creatures in place. I thought it was sorta neat how the clear plastic strips made the fishies appear to be suspended in air...or in this case, water!
If you look closely, you can see the strips of acetate. The birthday cake comes from the Stretch Your Imagination cartridge. The happy birthday greeting at the top was cut using a Quickutz cookie cutter die and computer generated greeting is Two Peas Flea Market font.


A detailed tutorial and a link to a video tutorial on making this type of card can be found at Extreme Cards and PapercraftingReally like that this type of card is quite simple to do and full of so many possibilities!

12 comments:

Kelly said...

OMG...OMG...OMG! What a fabulous creation...so much eye candy here. You really put a lot of thought into this card and the inside sentiment is awesome! Everything about this card, great colors, fabulous paper, incredible detail...everything is perfect!

Joy said...

HOLY! this is such an awesome card! love the outside but the inside blew me away! SO FABBIE! you are always on top of things! great job! what a fun card for a kid turning one! thanks for signing up and have a good week!

Anonymous said...

Super fantastic card!
Colors and creatures are perfect.
This will be a scrapbook keepsake.
PJ(Jessie Adams)

Michele said...

WOW!!!!! Eunice, this card is SPECTACULAR! My goodness, the time you must have put into this and all of the detail....just awesome!! TFS!!!

Anonymous said...

This card is spectacular! It's so cute and colorful and will make anyone smile! Just curious if you had to add the extra pleats to make it stand.

eunice said...

Anonymous....I did the pleats as in Carol's tutorial over at Extreme Cards & Papercrafting (see the link on my post above). I believe you get 3 "valleys" to insert your "stems" into. Also read on to see how she glues the pleats on the ends so everything sits straight up, nice and tidy. Hope that helps!

Jenny said...

Hi Eunice! I love this card- you do such great work. I like the under the sea theme and how you worked it into the card. Thanks for the inspiration!

Enjoli said...

I LOVE this card!! It is so cute. I think I want to have this as my Son's 1st birthday theme! :)

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

What a super cute idea! Great sea theme and so colorful.

Creations by Patti said...

Wow - love your card and the wonderful colors used for it!!! A great job, girly!!!! Absolutely fabulously done indeed. Now how old is he? I think even a grown-up would love this card......I know I sure would!!!!

my best,
P

Creations by Patti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ShaniKulani said...

such an awesome card!! love all the "swimming" ocean animals...and I love that card crafting blog :)