Sunday, August 15, 2010

You Rock Baby!

Hurray! Dd survived her most rigorous final exams ever and is ready to begin a new school year of rotations. This is the card I sent with a care package to congratulate her and let her know how proud we are of her.

For the front of the card I used a cut from the Hello Kitty Greetings cartridge, and added a star from the George cartridge to create my "rockin' kitty". Electric guitar comes from the Indie Arts cart.

Here's how the card looks opened up...
This was my first try at creating a "flag book" type of card. Though I have seen many different variations of this posted everywhere on the internet, I always thought it looked too complicated to do. I finally had the chance to see this type of card in "person" at a recent Cricut Club meeting when two wonderfully creative ladies, Sharon F. and Kelli S. shared several beautiful flag book cards they had created. I was so impressed with their cards that I just had to try one too!

The neatest thing about this card is that it is so much fun to open and see all the flags line up in place. And the best part is that it really is so easy to make!

I used lots of glitzy sparkly paper to make sure the card would shout out its sentiment! Silver and black glitter carstock is from DCWV, pink prismatic paper is from Best Occasions. Lettering for the flags was cut using Studio font from Quickutz, and musical notes were created in Design Studio using welded shapes from the George cartridge.
I got my instructions from a book called Fast And Fun Folded Cards from Annie's Attic but I also found a couple links to free tutorials over at one of my fave blogs, Extreme Cards and Papercrafting. What's nice about this card is that it's easy to customize it to increase or decrease the number of flags you want to include simply by adding or subtracting the number of accordian folds.

The only thing is, the more accordian folds you add, the thicker your card becomes. My friends Sharon & Kelli used ribbon ties attached to the the front and back to keep their cards nicely closed. But due to my poor planning, I forgot to add the ties. My card with 5 flags in 3 rows became nearly 3/4" thick, so instead of trying to make a bulging envelope for it, I opted to make a box with a belly band, which did the dual duty of keeping the card contained and closed till opened.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

WOW...AMAZING! A lot of thought and work went into it...Your daughter is going to love it! I just love anything with Hello Kitty but this is incredible!

Creations by Patti said...

Eunice,

When I opened up your blog and saw Kitty with a star on her eye - I burst out laughing......how cute and funny. I even love the inside better!!!! Great job!!!!

giggles..........
Patti

Joy said...

oh my goodness Eunice! this so ROCKS! you did a outstanding job on this card. I am so blown away! you do the most unique and very intricate cards. love the thought of those very detailed creations! this is so amazing! love what you did and that hello kitty is too cute! I just love to admire your creation as I just wouldn't know where to start! TFS and have a wonderful week!

Brenda said...

this is definitely my favorite card! i love it!