Sunday, August 22, 2010

Asian American Wedding

This card was created for Dh to take to the wedding of one his golfing buddies last month. I was pretty certain after seeing the wedding announcement that the bride was probably born and raised in Japan, so I wanted to do something with an Asian flavor.

I used the kanji character for "love" from the Pagoda cartridge, cut from glossy mylar cardstock, and shadowed it a couple times with Bazzill Diamond Bling cardstock. For the background, I used the same Bazzill cardstock, run through the Cuttlebug Sakura embossing folder.

Then for a Westernized twist, I decided to use the dove cut from the Wedding Solutions cartridge. I layered the doves several times and although it doesn't show up in the photo, I used DCWV white glitter cardstock for the shadow layer. Unlike here in the U.S., doves are not considered a traditional symbol of love in Japan, so at first I felt a little uneasy about placing them on the card. But after I placed a piece of washi paper down behind the doves, it seemed to work out much better.

I kept the inside plain and simple, traditional Japanese wedding white and gold, with a pocket on the side for the monetary gift.

6 comments:

Cyndi said...

awesome card! love your cricut creations!

Janis said...

What a great card. It's so elegant for a wedding! TFS!

Linda said...

Such a beautiful card Eunice! I missed you yesterday and I sure hope you're feeling better! xoxo, Linda

Kelly said...

Oh Eunice, this is beautiful and how thoughtful of you to add the Asian flair. It's sure to be a keeper for their wedding album.

Joy said...

you never cease to amaze me! love what you did for that wedding card! pretty birds, love the paper and the elegance of it all! so missed you at the social. hopefully I will get to meet you at the next one! take care!

Creations by Patti said...

Absoliutely Love this card!!! Great jon - thanks so much for sharing such a great creation!!!! Clap - clap - clap!!!!

hugs
Patti