Thursday, October 30, 2008

Trick or Treat! *updated with recipe*

Happy Halloween! It's our little fur baby all dressed in her costume and ready to go trick or treating. Lol...Poor little doggie...the things she has to go through now that dd is too old for all this fun stuff. Halloween is definitely right up there on my list of fun holidays together with Easter and Valentines Day. Always enjoy making goody bags and treats to share.

Really put my Cricut to work this year to help create all my Halloween surprises. Made these trick or treat bags last night for my niece and her doggy. (First time ever for me to make a treat bag for a DOG!)


I first saw Hello Kitty dressed in her black cat costume on Joy's blog earlier this month and thought it was so cute! At first I thought she had used one of the new Hello Kitty Sizzix dies for her projects, but realized later when I couldn't find it for sale anywhere that it wasn't. And since ProvoCraft's Hello Kitty cartridge still isn't available either, I decided to give it a try on Design Studio. I used the kitty from the Doodlecharms cart together with George for Hello Kitty in her costume and Base Camp for the "Happy Halloween". The flying witch dog on the broom is from Paperpups. "Happy Howl-oween" is Opposites Attract and doggy's name "Shibi" is Mickey Font.
And take a look at these skeleton cookies! Aren't they the cutest? Guess what.... actually they really aren't "cookies"... they're doggie treats! Saw these at a pet store in Ewa Beach last week and couldn't resist getting a few. They look yummy enough for human consumption, yeah. In fact the guy at the pet shop said, "They taste pretty good!" (Did he really eat them?!!!)

Anyway, for people treats, I made these little goodies. I call them "Spooky Fries"... They're pretzels baked and flavored and glazed with butter, sugar and furikake. Thought they would look cute in french fry boxes decorated to look Halloween-y. The fry box is a Design Studio cut which was created and shared by none other than the super talented Jen C. on her blog, Brain Things. Thank you, Jen! Stamped the side of the boxes with a Happy Halloween sentiment and added a Sizzix die cut kitty cut from glossy black cardstock. Tied on ribbons in my favorite Halloween colors for the final touch. Still can't believe I made FORTY of these. I must be crazy. Dh and I took a bunch to share with friends at work and I mailed a few to dd to pass around to friends at school.


And yup, I just had to try making Frankie and Frankette too, after seeing so many versions of them posted everywhere! First saw the video tutorial for Frankie on Dawn's blog, but it wasn't till I saw Cambria's version that I knew I just had to make them too. Cambria made her couple into goodie boxes that she calls a "boxy bag"... part box and part bag, I guess. She shares the instructions for it on her blog... and I was very pleased at how easily it all came together. It's quite a versatile little box, and I'm sure I'll want to try making it again for another occasion.
Wanted to make more, but only had the chance to make one set of these because I was pressed for time. Filled them with candy and sent them off to dd and her bf.
Also decorated some lunch bags to fill with more fun and silly Halloween things I had picked up. Used the ghost from the Paperdolls cartridge and Plantin Schoolbook for the font. Made these for dd, her bf and my niece. Dd and her bf probably think I am crazy for sending them stuff like this, but that's ok, cuz I had so much FUN making them! They both work so hard and often stress with all their studying so if I managed to bring even the tiniest smile to their faces, I'm happy.
Last, but certainly not least, a couple more pics of our little baby Latte in her jack-o-lantern costume, and with her new found friend.












I've had quite a few requests for the recipe for the pretzels (spooky fries) so thought I'd update this post to share the recipe. This was shared by a customer who made these for the girls at the pharmacy dd worked at this summer. The pretzels called for in the recipe are Utz brand Honey Wheat pretzels, sold in barrels at Sam's Club. Apparently these are the latest rage as an alternative to Chex Mix and the pretzels are flying out the door over at Sam's Club...better run on over if you want them!
1 block butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup light corn syrup
Heat in a saucepan till thick and bubbly and pour over
2 barrels Honey Wheat pretzels
Toss to coat evenly and sprinkle with
1 jar furikake
Bake for 1 hour at 250 degrees, stirring every 15 minutes.
Enjoy!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - so many projects. Gotta try that pretzel sticks - sorta like party mix but with pretzel sticks insteads? I have a big jar of those pretzels that no one ate. I'm sure your DD and bf will be so happy to receive the goodies!

Joy said...

WOW! Great Job on everything!!! your doggie is so cute...I have a yorkie and she hates being dressed up...lol! I'm sorry about the hello kitty...it's the hello kitty clip art if you google it. it's free to download. you did a great job in making a dup. of it! love the frankie too...made some of my own...it was a little time consuming...don't ya think? well thanks for always inspiring me! Happy Halloween!!!

Jen said...

Your fry boxes turned out terrific! thanks for sharing. And your sweet puppy is too darling! love the costume!!

Teri said...

OMG Eunice! Your doggie is the cutest!! So lucky that you were able to dress her up!! All of your projects are fantastic, like always! The talent you have...awesome!! xo, Teri

Denise said...

That doggie is so cute!! Great gift ideas too.

Anonymous said...

Love all of your projects...that pretzel mix sounds yummy..can you post a recipe....TFS>..Liann M.

Rina said...

Eunice,
Thanks so much for popping in on my "New" blog. It's been fun and very humbling to receive all the sweet encouragements. Jen was so right when she said...all the sisters are very supportive. It's been nothing but that.

OMGosh...I love all of your projects. They ALL turned out great! I must try the pretzel sticks for our Girls Scout troop, during Christmas time. That's something they'll enjoy. Thanks a bunch for sharing!

God Bless!

Jodi said...

These are terrific projects for halloween, I especially love your cute puppy in costume!! =)