Monday, September 28, 2009

A Splashin' Good Time


My very talented and good friend, Kris always makes the neatest cards ever, and I have been the lucky recipient of several of them. On one of our recent shopping outings, she presented me with this pivoting pop-up surfing Ian card which I totally fell in love with. When the card is opened, Ian pops up and rides the waves! How cool is that! And oh, did you notice that Ian is a diecut? Kris did such an awesome job of re-creating him with SCAL and her Cricut...love all the details...check out his printed board shorts and even his neck chain! I definitely had to CASE this card... The mechanism that makes Ian ride the waves is an inverted v-fold pivot. I had to disassemble Kris's card to get a good look at it, but later found the pattern for it with very detailed instructions posted by Carol on one of my favorite blogs, Extreme Cards and Papercrafting.

...and so here's my take on Kris' card...


I made this card to send to dd's bf after he stay-cationed with us this summer. One of the funnest things we did was to go jet skiing, so I decided to try a version of Kris' card with jet skiers. Only problem was I couldn't find any good images of tandem jet skiers anywhere. I finally gave up searching and ended up trying to draw my own, and used SCAL and Cricut to cut it. Lol, as you can see, I'm definitely not an artist and it came out a bit goofy looking, but I was desperate! For the water, I used the wave border from Paper Pups, and added a few quickutz dolphins to complete the scene.

For the beach scene on the front of the card, I scanned images from a coloring book, then edited, re-sized, and printed it onto white cardstock. Staedtler Aquarells with a Dove Blender were used to color, and I used foam tape on duplicate images of the coconut tree and umbrella to add dimension.

In the end, I had used so many different types of images that the finished card looked a bit cartooney. But that's okay, I had fun making it, and even more fun playing with it when it was done! With the pivot mechanism in place, opening & closing the card made the jetski bob up and down amongst the waves, reminding me of all the fun we had that day!

6 comments:

Carol P said...

It's great! I don't think the jetskiers look goofy at all. I would love to link back to your card from that pop up lesson if I may. Let me know. And thanks for the compliment :)

Carol
Extreme Cards and Papercrafting
(my email address is in my profile)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing Carol's website - cardmaking is becoming a science!

Cyndi said...

wow, that is so cool! It looks hard!

Joy said...

very impressive! love the pop up cards! that is so neat! you make your creations so beautiful! I love how it turned out! such a talented lady with her cricut!

Kelly said...

WOW...you really added so much detail. Everything is just perfect...really love love the colors!

Jodi said...

What a fun card! I love interactive cards! You did a very nice job on your card as always!
Hugs
Jodi =)