Saturday, September 19, 2009

"Bee" Back Soon!

Summer's officially over for me once dd returns to school in Cali. This year her summer break was so short and it felt as though we had hardly any time to spend together before it was time for her to leave. Saying goodbye was difficult and I found myself missing her so much when she left.


I found what I thought would be the perfect card to send dd posted on the Cricut Messageboard by Ashley (lovemysoldier). She had created the cutest card ever, and though I usually try not to do blatant scraplifts, for this one I did. It was so perfect, I didn't want to change it too much! Thank you, Ashley!

For this card, I used the beehive cut from Walk In My Garden, welded the shadows in Design Studio to create the base card, and adhered the layers with foam tape. The little bees are from the Pooh and Friends cart, and the cute sign at the front door was simply printed on the computer and cut out. I hung the sign using dmc embroidery floss and a little mini brad.

For the sentiment on the front of the card I decided to try something new. Well, at least "new" for me... I've read about creating your own rub-ons for a while now, but never really had the chance to try it till now. Printing the sentiment directly onto the cardstock prior to cutting out the beehive would have meant a lot time measuring and still a lot of guesswork. But this technique was easy and worked like a charm! First I printed a mirror image of my sentiment using my inkjet printer onto a sheet of transparency. Then after it was dry, I simply used a popsicle stick to rub it on to my card like I would any commercially made rub on. Wallah! If you look very closely enough, you'll see a little bit of bleeding, but imo, hardly noticiable at all. For all the time and frustration it saved me, it's a wonderful technique! Oh, one thing I should mention, this technique doesn't work too well on textured papers. If your cardstock is textured, better to flip it over to the back smooth side to rub your sentiment on.


On the inside of my card, I used the flower cut from Plantin Schoolbook and grass border cut from the ZooBalloo cart. The sentiment was computer generated, fonts are DJ Fancy and DJ Inkers. Chalked everything up and added a few heart shaped raindots from Cloud 9 Designs.

I don't know why, but I've never really made very many shaped cards in the past. This one was so much fun to do, especially with all the layering. Recently I've been seeing some really neat cards like this shared by others on the Cricut Message Board Card Forum and also over at Custom Crops. I know I'll be wanting to try more like this soon!

5 comments:

Cyndi said...

awesome card! you seem to be a pro with the cricut with all your wonderful creations!

Denise said...

Such a sweet card!

Joy said...

this is "bee"u-tiful! what a great card to give! love all your cricut creations!

Kelly said...

OMG Eunice...This a the CUTEST card I have EVER seen! Glad to see you back...we've missed you!

Jodi said...

very cute and sweet card!! Love the bees, they are soo cute!!
Just Bee-u-tiful!!
Hugs
Jodi =)