Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Girls Day Treat Boxes

In celebration of Girls Day on March 3rd, I made these boxes to fill with chichi dango mochi and cookies to share with my girlfriends. 

The inspiration for my Girls Day boxes came from this adorable Chinese New Year slide and lock box treat holder created by my sweet crafty friend, Lori.  The round bunny scallop embellishment on the front of the box is actually a slider piece that "locks" or keeps the box closed. Her box is 2-3/4 inches square and an inch in depth; a perfect size for sharing wrapped chocolates with friends. Detailed measurements and instructions for assembly for this fun box by Brenda Quintana can be found here.

I really liked the concept of the sliding/locking embellishment and decided to try a larger version for sharing my mochi and cookies. The final size for my larger box was 4-1/2 inches square and 1-1/2 inches deep. Svg file for the kokeshi doll comes from Creative Fabrica. I used the tree die from Karen Burniston's Tiny Tree Pop Up die set for the branch and Frantic Stamper's Petite Sakura die for the cherry blossoms.

Another feature I like about this box is that it's pretty sturdy and can hold fairly heavy treats (like mochi!) thanks to the strip of printed cardstock that gets wrapped around the sides of the box.

Here's a side view of the slider/lock element which is made from 2 circles and 3 scalloped circles glued together. Original instructions calls for 4 scalloped circles but I swapped the scalloped circle on the backside with a plain circle so I could cut 2 elements out of a 12 x 12 sheet of cardstock.
    
Two of the scalloped circles were folded in half and glued to the back of the third, creating right and left "channels" to slide the box flaps into and hold them in place. Love that something so simple works so well! 

I was able to fit about 10 pieces of mochi or 10 medium sized sugar cookies into each box. These boxes are very quick to put together and can be easily sized up or down to your preference. It's also nice to know that the slider element can be almost any shape... definitely need to play around with that idea!

I have two more Girls Day treat holders to share before I close. Both of these amazing treasures were created by my dear friend Lorna.

This tag shaped box is so adorable with a kawaii kokeshi dressed in a washi paper kimono and origami obi. If you look closely, you'll see the beautiful 3 dimensional cherry blossm design that's been cut onto the pearlized cardstock behind the little kokeshi doll.

Then Lorna took that beautiful 3D cherry blossom design up to a completely new level when she incorporated it into the lid of this fabulous cube shaped box! Each of the four sides of this box has a different paper pieced kokeshi doll, intricately dressed and adorned with washi and origami papers. This wonderful keepsake box will be treasured for many years.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Wow! Those are some gorgeous treat boxes. I especially like the slider one you made. I forgot about Girl's Day until it was too late to make anything ....not even time for a card. I'm getting so forgetful. Sigh....