Sunday, August 15, 2021

Kimono Girls Birthday

Today I'm sharing a shaker style card I recently put together for a dear friend's birthday using several cute stamps from my  favorite local stamp company, Dandelion Designs.

This adorable pair of kimono girls come from Dandelion Designs "Friends Set". I used Copics to color them and paper pieced their kimonos from washi papers. 

I used a reverse stitched scallop circle die to cut the window for my shaker and added a stamped sakura border from Dandelion Design's "Arigato Set". Sakura blossoms were colored with Copics and glittered with Stickles. I glued flat back dewdrops and sequins randomly around the window to add some fun sparkle. 
For the panel in the shaker, I added a smidge of blended colors using distress oxide inks applied with  foundation brushes. Stamped sentiment is from "Sakura Girls Set", also from Dandelion Designs. Clear acetate was adhered to the window frame with double stick tape. I used foam tape behind the window to create the shaker box and added a mix of  clear sequins and flower shaped clay polymer embellishments inside.

As the card is opened, two birthday kimono girls pop up with birthday wishes!


Kawaii birthday kimono girls are from Dandelion Designs "Happy Wishes Set" .  Hard to see in the photos but I applied distress oxide inks to create a blended background inside the card similar to the panel in the shaker box. Stamped birthday sentiments are from Mama Elephant's "Paola's Wishes" and "Mixed Wishes" sets. The fun interactive pop up was created using the mechanism from Karen Burniston's  Flip Frame pop up die set. 

The double pop up was created by installing the mechanism twice, one for the balloon girl pop up on the left side of the card and the second installed backwards for the cupcake girl pop up on the right of the card. I then stamped and colored the sakura border image a few times, cut it apart, then pieced and glued the blossoms onto the arm of the pop up mechanism to hide it.
This was a fun pop up and fairly easy to install. I especially like how the pop up elements are lifted to stand almost perpendicular to the inside of the card. Many more fun ideas come to mind with this mechanism which I hope to try soon!


1 comment:

Lynn said...

I was very impressed with the sakura shaker card front....so sweet but then when I saw the inside I was totally in love with the whole card. I really need to learn how to make that pop up feature. I can imagine using it in many cards. The tiny polymer clay flowers are absolutely the perfect choice for this card. I've seen the reverse scallop dies but now I can see how useful they are. Thank you for showing and explaining all the details of how you assembled this card. I learn so much from you!