Friday, December 25, 2020

Holiday Gift Card Tree Boxes

 I put together a little over a dozen of these little tree boxes to use as my gift card holders for nearly everyone on my gift list this Christmas. 

Designed by Pebbles In My Pocket, the svg cutting template for these boxes can be found at their Etsy Digital Store. To be certain I 'd be able to get my giftcards to fit, I enlarged the template for the box as large as possible to fit onto a 12 x 12 mat.

Before cutting the trees, I joined various sized star and circle svgs to tree template so it would cut out as little stencils on the tree. I then added red glitter paper to the backs of the trees so it would show through the front as glittery round and star shaped ornaments on the trees. Then I added another tree shaped layer of green text weight paper to sandwich the glitter paper and box tabs in to give everything a cleaner look.

It takes four tree cuts standing back to back and meeting at center folds to create the desired 3 dimensional tree and keep the box closed. However, since my tree cuts were 3 layers thick, I couldn't get the trees to stand snug enough in place to keep the box nicely closed.  After a bit of fiddling, I ended up punching a hole in the center of the star, threading and tying a length of gold thread into a tight bow to keep the tree sides snug and the box closed.
I stamped and heat embossed a Christmas sentiment from a very old Inkadinkado stamp set in gold metallic powder and backed it with gold glitter paper to create the labels for the front of the boxes.


These pop up gift card holders were put together from a tweaked cut file of a Christmas card created by my dear friend Kris a few years ago. 

After the gift cards were put in the boxes, each was wrapped in a cello bag tied with gold ribbon. The final touch were these very simple round tags with a cut out tree and gold star. I really liked the finished look of these tree boxes and hope everyone enjoyed getting them as well.

No comments: