Sunday, November 15, 2020

In the Cookie of Life...

I recently made this fun card and matching gift card holder to send to a dear friend for her birthday.

   
While looking for fresh ideas for a birthday card, I came across this quote by author Salman Rushdie. Being that my friend happens to work part time at a bakery that bakes yummy gourmet cookies (that she sometimes shares with us!), I thought this would make a cute theme for her card.


I started my card by lightly blending distress oxide inks onto white cardstock to create the panel you see in the window. I added a paper pieced teddy from Marjorie Ann Designs' "Me and You Forever" cutting file and cookie jar from Kadoodlebug Designs' "Cutie Katoodles Cookie Jar Bear".

The cookie quote was done with Ballerina and Arial fonts as a print and cut with a label shape from Cricut Lacy Labels cartridge. Cutting file for the chocolate chip cookies were created in Make the Cut design studio, and window and frame were cut on the Silhouette. Digital patterned paper for the inset is from Phantasia Design's Teddy Bear Digital Pack on Etsy.

I adhered the panel with the teddy and cookie jar onto a Karen Burniston Rockin' Rectangle mechanism. Yup, I'm really making good use out of this die!

As the card is opened, the panel with the teddy and the cookie jar pops forward and rocks to the right  to reveal another teddy holding a cookie underneath.

Then, just for fun, I enlarged the cutting file for the cookie jar just enough to fit a gift card. I cut and pieced together two sets; one for the front and one for the back and adhered them together at the edges, leaving a pocket to slide the gift card in. Hope my dear friend enjoyed her birthday card and gift as much as I did putting it together!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Outstanding! This card is not only super cute, it's awesomely clever. I just love all the paper mechanics you use on your cards. You have such skill and patience.