Thursday, February 14, 2019

Panda Hugs and Unicorn Sparkles

Happy Happy Valentine's Day! Made ten of these simple panda boxes and filled them with freshly baked Lemon Chip cookies for my "Galentines" this year.

The kawaii panda is a clipart image from the Cute Pandas Vector Clip Art set created by "Look Look Pretty Paper" on Etsy.  Make the Cut design program was used to render him into a paper piecing cutting file to fit onto the front of my cooky box.


The cooky box design was inspired by the boxes that the new Diamond Head Bakery shortbread cookies come packaged in. Their shortbread is yummy, but even better, I thought their hinged lid boxes were very cool and wanted to do something similar for my cooky box. I tried to create a template in Make the Cut by welding together basic shapes (square, triangles), but ended up having to simplify the fancy folded hinged lid.

I also designed my boxes to be a smidge larger so I could get a dozen cookies to fit inside. Glued panda's body to the base of the box and attached his head to the hinged lid with some foam tape.

As a final touch, I added a Valentine sentiment and a few glittery hearts to the back and tied a ribbon around the box.
Made only one Valentine card this year...a Unicorn themed Valentine for our dear granddaughter. I'm starting to think that I now like Unicorns just as much (or maybe even more) as pandas! Lol, we've already bought our granddaughter a Unicorn rocking horse, Unicorn blankets, Unicorn hoodies, Unicorn t shirts, Unicorn plushies ... I'm guessing it won't be long before her momma says "ENOUGH!"

But these cutie patootie paper pieced Unicorns were just too hard to resist! They are from the "Chibi Unicorns" set of cutting files from SVG Cutting Files. I decided to put them on a "Wiper Card".


Have you noticed the revival of the old "Wiper Card" style with a fresh new look on stamp and cardmaking sites recently? The new revised wiper cards now have a shorter front panel so that stamped or paper pieced images can pop out from behind them. For this card, pulling on the right and left sides of the card "opens" it,  and a third Unicorn "leaps" out from behind the clouds!
I purchased the template cutting file for the "Wiper Card" from the Lori Whitlock Shop and embellished it with a rainbow, clouds and Unicorns. I also attached a piece of clear acetate to the wiper mechanism for the center unicorn so she would appear to be leaping out of the clouds.

Lots of room on the backside of the card to add a sweet sentiment. Hope our granddaughter enjoys this interactive card as much as I had fun learning to put it together. Lots of fun possibilities come to mind for this card, and I'm looking forward to playing around with this !

2 comments:

Tina H said...

I LOVE them Eunice!! Those boxes are adorbs and the unicorn project is fantastic! I've been wanting to try the wiper card! Thanks for the inspiration! Hugs, Tina

(AJ) ArtJypsy said...

You are so talented. Love your panda box and fabulous unicorn card.