Thursday, March 3, 2016

Treat Boxes for Girls Day

Today is Girls Day or "Hina Matsuri" in Japan, also known as "Doll Festival". To celebrate, I made these kimono girl treat boxes and filled them with rice cakes or "mochi" to share with friends.

The inspiration to make these boxes comes from some cute bear shaped "onigiri" or rice ball boxes I spied on Pinterest from a Japanese design concept site called "h concept" found here. Using the Make the Cut design program, I tried to create a template similar to the onigiri boxes but taller to look more like the body of  kimono clad doll.

I added a head and hands, and covered the box with washi paper so it would look like a kimono. Slits were cut in the hands to allow the hands to slide into each other and keep the box closed.


Sliding the hands apart opens the box to get to the goodies inside! Coming up with the template for this box was a bit of a challenge, but once that was done, decorating and putting these treat boxes together was fun. Thanks for dropping by to visit, and wishing you all a Happy Girls Day!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Excellent Girl's Day treat box! I love your creativity and your dedication to getting a project 'just' right. I wish I had your obvious passion for crafting perfection.

Jadams said...

A very "sweet" box, Eunice.
Good use of the washi tape.