Sunday, August 17, 2014

Welcome Baby Building Blocks Card

Had another baby card to make, and as much as I enjoy making the Blocks type card (so quick and easy!) for baby cards, I figured it was time to try something a little different. Been seeing many Building Block cards on Pinterest, and decided to give it a try. You can find the tutorial for this by Laura Lipe over at Splitcoast Stampers. This is what it looks like when it's open:

I actually altered my card just a bit from the original by adding five blocks instead of four as in the tutorial. "Why?" Because I'm always making dumb mistakes. The entire time I was planning this card out, I thought the baby's name was "LUCAS".. I thought, "Oh no, I'm gonna have to figure out a way to add another block so baby's name will fit!" Spent a lot of time re-doing the dimensions and calculations for this card just to get that extra fifth block onto this card. Then just as I die cut baby's name (used Quickutz Blossom Mini dies) and was about to adhere them to the blocks, I suddenly remembered baby's name was really "LUKE" and not "LUCAS"... DUH!!!  And hence you see the heart and star shapes I added to the unneeded fifth block...sigh...

Okay, on to the embellishing...used a label cut from the Lacy Labels Cricut Cartridge for the sentiment on the front and added a few fun star shaped buttons from Dress It Up.

Elephant cut comes from Cricut Create A Critter Cartridge....

...and Giraffe on end panel also from Create A Critter Cartridge.


Managed to squeeze in the sentiment on the inside narrow panel next to the blocks...

And here's a view from the top. Here you'll see that I completely snipped off the thin strips of cardstock between the blocks which are supposed to fold toward the back of the card and replaced them with a blue cardstock panel which I adhered to the back of the base card. In the end, having avoided the disaster of putting the wrong name on the card, I was satisfied with how it turned out...LOL, may even try this type of card again, now that I know I can alter the number of blocks on this...

8 comments:

Sue from Oregon said...

This is a real keepsake! Love all your additions-even if they were fron coverups. Never would have known had you not told us-sometimes the best creations come from our little boo boos! Lovely!

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Your card really shows that your put your heart into creating it. Definitely a keepsake! Who would ever think you made a boo-boo? It looks perfect with the heart and star. Love all the sweet details! Have a great week.

Jadams said...

Very sweet card, Eunice. The details are perfect.

Leanne said...

Awesome job Eunice!! I love how you altered the extra box. It definitely will come in handy for the future. Love how this all came together with all the adorable critters. I bet Luke's mama loved it!! Have a wonderful week and thanks so much for all the wonderful love you left me!!
Means a lot!!

Leanne said...

Awesome job Eunice!! I love how you altered the extra box. It definitely will come in handy for the future. Love how this all came together with all the adorable critters. I bet Luke's mama loved it!! Have a wonderful week and thanks so much for all the wonderful love you left me!!
Means a lot!!

Lynn said...

Oh BOY card! Oh BOY, I love it! You put so much work into this one, I know the recipient will treasure it for years...and probably include it in the baby album. You are the ultimate paper artist.

Tina H said...

This is absolutely precious! I like it with the 5 blocks and I think it's so funny that you think you made a mistake. Your lines and folds are so perfect! The little star and heart add the perfect touch. I love the soft colors and the animals. This is a card the parents will definitely treasure. Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog. To answer your question, the printable vinyl is for inkjet printers and I used the Cricut brand, but they do have other brands too. I hope you have a lovely day :)

Jacee said...

Just found your blog, so enjoyed looking around, you make some really lovely crafts. I shall be calling in to see your lovely creations regularly, hope you'll come and visit me too.
Hugs Jacee
Simply Paper Card Design