Sunday, June 15, 2014

Dad's Day Accordion Cards

Celebrating dads everywhere today. Hubby went out on the golf course to enjoy his favorite passtime, but not before he got his Fathers Day card! This year I decided to use my new Elizabeth Crafts Designs Oval Accordion Die to make my Fathers Day cards. Of course, hubby's had to have a golf theme, so I used an image of sweet ol' Tigger, found by doing a Google image search and had MTC render it into a cutting file.

The Happy Fathers Day banner was also created in MTC by welding a few shapes from the MTC Basic Shapes Library together.
Here's hubby's Accordion card fully open. The grassy border on the bottom was cut using a border die from Die-namics, and the tee, golf course green, and flag were hand cut. Circle punches were used for the balls.
Admittedly it took a bit of experimenting and (as Pooh would say) a lot of "think-think-thinking" to get the oval panels and frames layered just the way I wanted, but I think I finally got it figured out. The instructions printed on the package the accordion dies come in are a little hard to follow; instead you'll definitely want to watch the instructional video by Els van de Burgt here. She gives a lot of helpful tips that make assembling this card a lot easier.
Dad got an accordion card too, but for his I used the adorable "Plane Cute" cutting file I got as a weekly freebie a while back from Designs On Cloud 9.
Banner on this card was another Google image search find, traced into a cutfile by MTC. Little birdies are from the Cricut 3 Birds On Parade cartridge.

Here's Dad's card fully opened.... 

Really am enjoying creating accordion cards with this die. Running them through the Big Shot means the base of the card will be precisely cut every time, assuring the card will assemble perfectly without worry. Leaves more time to get creative decorating!

6 comments:

Creations by Patti said...

A fabulous Card - LOVE Pooh!!!! Great colors, too.

Lynn said...

Both cards are so unbelievable. I love how you paired the theme with the perfect sentiment. I so admire your crafting skills. Thank you for sharing your work with me. I truly appreciate seeing your talent.

Jadams said...

Like both of your cards, Eunice.
Accordion cards are fun to make.
Yours are embellished so cute!

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

WOWSER! These 2 cards are DA BOMBS....so awesome and fancy. The sentiment on both perfectly match the theme.

Leanne said...

Wow Oh Wow!! These are both fantastik!! The details on the golf course are outstanding. Super lucky guys!

Tina H said...

Love both of your cards! I've seen these dies and I am so tempted but that would mean buying the big shot too. The tigger is just perfect with his golfing and I love the little bear. Your cards are always so amazing :)