Sunday, January 26, 2014

Year of the Horse Cookie Boxes

Friday is Chinese New Years, the official start of the Year of the Horse so Chinatown was bustling with activity this weekend. To celebrate the start of the New Year, I put together these Year of the Horse boxes filled with almond cookies for sharing with our family.
I used the same octagonal box cutfile (from My Scrap Chick) that I used to make the Hello Kitty boxes I posted earlier. I chose an octagonal box since it's considered to be lucky because of it's eight sides...the number eight being a lucky number to the Chinese. Figured our aunts wouldn't be too keen about Hello Kitty so this time around I went with a more traditional horse image and stuck to the lucky red and gold color scheme instead to decorate their boxes. The horse image was purchased from GL Stock Images and traced into a cutfile using MTC. I used metallic gold cardstock to cut it out and placed it together with the Chinese character for "horse" onto a background embossed with a folder from Cuttlebug's Asian bundle.
Finished size of the box is about 4-1/2 inches wide with a depth of 3 inches; large enough to hold a dozen cookies. As a finishing touch, I wrapped the boxes in cellophane bags tied with a glittered tulle bow. Hubby kept calling this "the firecracker box" because the shape of it reminded him of the octagonal "bomb" that's commonly seen attached to the top of long strings of Chinese firecrackers. LOL....that might actually be kind of a fun thing to recreate in paper...a box with strings of paper firecrackers hanging from it....maybe next year.


3 comments:

Lynn said...

Another you-blow-me-away-with-your-creativity project! Gosh this is so professional looking. I can see all the time and effort that you put into every box. Your relatives better appreciate your hard work! The colors and textures you chose are perfectly suited for the gift of New Year's cookies. I even admire the way you set up your photos....so artistic. Thank you so much for treating your fellow bloggers to a look at your creative expression.

Shelly Schmidt said...

How cool is this!!! I LOVE this design! I am always blown away by your projects- gotta get my cutting machine out!

Creations by Patti said...

Love Love Love these cookie boxes!!!! Great job!!!