Sunday, November 18, 2012

Home Sweet Home

Dh and I just got back from a mini vacation visiting with our daughter and son in law at their new home in Cali. For our housewarming card to them, I thought it might be fun to try a house shaped card...
Been seeing so many different styles of very cool fence, door, and window dies in all different sizes being released by many of the companies specializing in thin dies lately. And seeing all the beautiful cards and paper crafts that others have created with them really made me want to run out and buy some too! Ahhh.....but at 10 - 15- 20 dollars per die...I just couldn't justify the spend. And how often would I actually use them? Better to try and create my own using the Cricut cartridges I already own and Design Studio or search for some images to trace in Make the Cut.

I admit it did take a lot longer to do than simply buying the ready made dies, but in the end I had cutting files that can be changed, re-sized or re-designed to fit my future needs.
It's difficult to see in the photo, but the roof on the house was actually inked and pieced as three separate scalloped, overlapping layers for some dimension.
The tiny flowers and leaves along the fence and in the window box were punched from a mini Punch Bunch blossom punch and Martha Stewart small branch punch.
For the front of the house, I used MTC and the Silhouette to design and cut the door. I used my Cricut, Cricut Design Studio and the George cartridge to create the windows and windowboxes; Picturesque cartridge for the picket fence and Wild Card cartridge for the mailbox.


Really had fun with the mailbox! I made a teensy-weensie envelope to fit inside the mailbox, and couldn't resist decorating the mailbox with some personalization. Does that look familiar? Yes! It was inspired by Carl and Ellie's painted mailbox from one of my daughter's favorite Pixar animated movies, "Up".
Open the card to the inside of the house and there you'll find a little white doggie perched on a comfy couch. (LOL, this is the little doggie my son in law has been promising to get once they got a place of their own...) The sign on the wall above the couch reads "Home Sweet Home".
Couch and doggie are Cottage Cutz dies and the sign was created in Design Studio.
 

As a final step, I decided to add an easel to the back of the card so it could easily stand up for display.
I inked up a Cuttlebug embossing folder (Tiny Mosaic) to try to create the look of a front sidewalk, and placed on it a charming old Irish saying framed with cuts using the Nestabilities Label Four die.
Whew! Took me quite a while to put this one together...but I have to admit I did have fun with it!

9 comments:

Creations by Shirl said...

Beautifully done Eunice! I agree in purchasing those die cuts, how often will anyone be using them... It's amazing and affordable getting all those icons from the cricut cartridges and it can be shaped to whatever size you want it to be.
That mailbox is just the cutest...

kg said...

OMG, Eunice--- you never cease to AMAZE me!!! Your creations are just awesome!!!

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

OMG, I was casing out your beautiful card. You did a FABULOUS job "building" the house. Oh, and such pretty flowers and sweet mailbox too. WOWSWER!!! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

It's such a lovely card.
Definitely one your daughter will keep thru the years.

PJ

CHARLOTTE said...

This is the perfect card for a housewarming - I know you put a lot of work and effort into making this card - every intricate feature is just perfect!

Lynn said...

Oh my, Eunice this card is delightful. The care you took with all the details makes it a masterpiece. I love the saying on the welcome mat. I feel so blessed to have your blog to inspire me. Hope your Thanksgiving is filled with blessings.

Creations by Patti said...

Lots of time put into this wonderful creative work in this great card for the housewarming..........gorgeous!

Cheryl said...

Wow, Eunice! Lots of cutting but such a beautiful card for your daughter and new husband's home!

Dr Sonia S V said...

So perfect. I love house shaped cards and have made some house shaped boxes in the past.Understand what you say about expensive dies!

Cheers
Dr Sonia