Sunday, June 17, 2012

So Lucky To Have You As Our Dad!

Why is it always such a struggle to come up with creative ideas for Fathers Day cards? For my dad's card this year, I chose to go with a "Maneki Neko" or "Lucky Cat" theme. Last time I looked, he had  Maneki Neko images on his computer as a screensaver, so I'm guessing he likes them. I got the image for my card by doing a Google image search and used MTC to render it into a cutfile. Had my Silhouette Cameo do the cutting and was very pleased that I could capture alot of the thin outlines and details.
Decided to add my paper pieced kitty to a sliding pop up card...pulling on the little tab on the front of the card pulls the front panel up and allows kitty to pop foward. Thought dad would get a kick out of that! You can find the link to Kim Score's tutorial here. I used one of the patterned embossing folders from Cuttlebug's Asian bundle to emboss the back panel. Gold vellum & cardstock, and washi paper were used for the accents. Fonts used for the sentiments were Pharmacy, Tangerine and Leelawadee.
Dh's card was a little easier to come up with. I knew what I wanted it to look like, and happily the final result turned out pretty close to what I had imagined. Don't you love when that happens? My card for dh is another shadowbox card, similar to the graduation cards I made earlier.
Here's a view from the top which makes it easier to see the silhouettes more clearly. The golfer & golfcart silhouette images as well as the photo of the sunset were found by doing another Google image search. Did a quick edit of the silhouettes in Photoshop and had MTC render them into cutfiles and weld them into a window. First, I printed the sunset photo onto glossy photo paper and trimmed it to fit into the recessed window as the backdrop. Next,the silhouette layer was cut in black cardstock, adhered to clear acetate and placed over the front of the recessed window. For the final tan colored layer, I used MTC to create another cutfile of a "negative" layer of the golfer and cart by "un-welding" them from the window so that the golfer's foot and tires of the cart would cut into the edge of the window and be visible when layered onto the black layer.
The library label holding the sentiment was created using Design Studio and a cut from the Cricut Lacy Labels cartridge, then adhered to the front of the card with brass mini brads.
And on the inside, my first try at this type of word pop up. This is something I've been wanting to try for a very long time but have never had the time to sit down and learn how to do till now. Found the tutorials for this at my usual favorite go to place for pop-ups, Extreme Cards And Papercrafting. LOL, after reading thru four of Carol's very detailed tutorial lessons, I decided to take her advice and take the "cheater's way out" by using the pre-made tabbed font, Solly Pop Tab Font created by Kay and shared on site at Clever Someday. Still haven't completely figured this out yet...definitely will need to practice more!
Since the inside of my card was 12 inches long, the pop-up word insert ended up being too short for my card. Had to add the torn edge borders to the top and bottom as a quick fix for my boo-boo. That's when I also added the torn edge border to the front of the card so it would match. Not bad, I kind of liked the effect...sometimes boo-boos are good, I guess. For my sentiment, I used a cut from the Cricut Elegant Edges cartridge for the label, and Tangerine & Gabriola fonts.
We celebrated Fathers Day a day early since dh had plans to spend today on the golf course with his buddies. I knew I'd still be sleeping when he left this morning, so I brought home these adorable animal friends from Watanabe Bakery for him and my dad to enjoy for their breakfast. Meet Choco Bear, Apple Bunny and Cream Elephant...aren't they the cutest breads you ever saw? Not only are they cute, they're filled with the yummiest fillings...and you can't help but to smile as you eat them! There's also Sweet Bread Panda and Sweet Bean Turtle in the menagerie... I'll definitely need to bring them home next time!

8 comments:

Lynn said...

OMG! That lucky cat card is absolutely fabulous! My head spins to think how you did that and the card for your husband. You are a master paper crafter! Thank you so much for giving me more to aspire to in the world of card making. I'm going to check out that yummy bakery.

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

WOW Eunice, you sure created two out-of-this-world fabulous cards. It sure shows all the love you put into creating them. Bet your Dad got a kick out of his and your DH will treasure his card. Ohhh, and the goodies from Watanabe Bakery looks so cute and yummy. Have a great week.

Cami said...

OMGosh Eunice, you have done it again! What can you not do or make? That maneki neko for your Dad and the golf silhouette card for you hubby are both awesome! I'm sure the special guys in your life both loved your cards! And, that pastry is so yummy looking...I love Watanabe Bakery stuff. You really think things through and come up with such great ideas!

Creations by Shirl said...

Eunice love your creations - you are so talented with whatever you do... No kidding! love love both sets of cards... I'm sure they both were so happy to receive them too... Yummy bread that is just the cutest yet I've seen made like that.....Too cute to eat them!35

Creations by Patti said...

E, Love your lucky cat father's day pop up card!!!! Way cool. The golfer silhouette one for your DH is pretty cool, too. He wasn't watching the Golf game at the Olympic Club (downt he street from us)? I heard it was a thriller of a finish. Love ally our projects posted!!!! Great job on the pop-ups!!! hugs, P

Jan Castle said...

Ditto to what everyone else says....these cards are WONDERFUL!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Loves Happy Hour said...

The neko card is amazing!! I've been wanting to do something like this but never on this grand a scale!! AWESOME!! love it!!
Both cards are so cool, you really put a lot of hard work into your designs!! Thanks for sharing!!

Kelly said...

Great cards Eunice...You are SO creative and how thoughtful of you to get the yummy pastries for the special guys in your life.