Monday, May 28, 2012

Making of a Wedding: Wedding Cards

This was another "mom, can you make this...?" request from dd...the groom's card, or the bride's wedding card to the groom. Dd's emailed request for this came a couple months before the wedding with a photo attachment of a similar card she saw on etsy. I thought it looked simple enough, I figured I could create a cutfile for it using MTC pretty quickly and cut it with my Cricut. No problem, right? Wrong, mama!!!

Designing the cutfile for it wasn't too bad...I used LD Charming font and hearts from the shapes library in MTC to create the welded names and hearts in the heart shaped window. And for the date, I chose to use Pharmacy true type font. When the cutfile was done, it looked pretty good on screen...but the problem was trying to get my Cricut to cut it....
After several tries and wasting a lot of cardstock, the best cut I could get is what you see below to the left. NOT ACCEPTABLE!!! It was then that I decided it was finally time to take the Silhouette Cameo I received for Chritsmas out of its box...
Setting up the Cameo was amazingly easy, and I was pleased that my MTC program recognized it right away. I was ready to start cutting in only a matter of minutes. And there you have it, (photo above, right) the exact same cutfile, cut on my new Silhouette Cameo. I was totally amazed! The pictures speak volumes of all the reasons why I wanted (needed!) the Cameo.

This second card is the one I made for me and dh to give to the newlyweds. Sadly, because I was so busy with all the wedding preparations, I had to rush to make this and wasn't entirely happy with how it turned out. Much of it was me testing my new Cameo to see how far I could push it to its limits in terms of doing intricate cuts. As a result, the overall design of the card may have suffered a bit...
The base of this card is a trifold with overlapping windows. I wanted to do layers of white on white using papers with different textures and shimmers.The lovebirds on the branches were welded and layered to the front window. An additional window layer of pearlized cardstock embossed with Stampin Up's Elegant Lines folder was adhered to this using foam tape. The bride and groom's names and the word "forever" were welded and layered onto to the second window. And the two glittered hearts above the names were adhered to the center panel of the trifold, which flips open....
...to reveal the sentiment inside. Font used for the window cuts is Lauren Script downloaded from dafont.com, and the birds and branches were cut using is the same clipart I used for the wedding invitations.
And the good new is....this is the last of the "Making of a Wedding" posts...YAY! No more wedding stuff for awhile....I hope!


9 comments:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

OH WOW!!! I've never seen a wedding card such as this. You did one heck of a BEAUTIFUL job. Soooo elegant. I was staring at it for a LONG time. :-)

Anonymous said...

Amazingly lovely cards!
Liked all of your wedding projects.

You should do a review of the Cameo for all of us considering another cutter.

PJ(Jessie Adams)

Jan Castle said...

Beautifully done...and you make it sound so easy! I have a Cricut and 30+ cartridges, plus the Gypsy and Design Studio...don't use it at all! BUT, you (and Patti Lee) make the Cameo sound inviting - if I had someone here to show me all the ins and outs....care to come visit? LOL!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Creations by Patti said...

absolutely fabulous job using the Silhouette. Yes, you def can see the difference from using the Cricut to cut. Unbelievable - just comparing the numbers between the Cricut and the Cameo: there is a world of difference!!! Yes, the Cameo is your best friend now. You seem to embrace the Silhouette program easily!!! Great jobin all the welding with all the fonts!!!! Love all the weddingprep and info - feeling like I was there enjoying the festivities, too. hugs, P

Ali said...

Wow I love these cards! I'm so glad I chose Silhouette machines and upgraded to the Cameo instead of going the Cricut route!

Joy said...

You go EUNICE! so amazing and so beautiful~! thank goodness it wasn't asked of me...lol! hope you have a wonderful week!

scrapnhawaii said...

Beautiful, just beautiful!! I love everything you did for the wedding. Your DD is soooo lucky to have a mom like you!! What a wonderful, memorable, one of a kind wedding!

Kelly said...

Don't you love it when things goe wrong, it finally comes together. Beautifully done!

Cheryl said...

Your card turned out beautiful!!! I may have to try cutting one on the Eclips with the Ecal. I'm going to miss your wedding posts. TFS!